How to Identify Exact Solarflare model?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Is there a way to identify the exact model of a Solarflare NIC?

I picked up a NIC on eBay with the description "Solarflare SF-109042 Dual-Port 10GbE PCIe 3.0 Server I/O Adapter DML" for a $20 BO shipped. No pictures on the listing, but for $20 I took a chance. I assumed I was getting an SFN7022 or 7122, and if it worked it would be a good deal.

It works fine, and took a firmware update without any problems. But I don't really know what it is!

The firmware update program says the controller is "SFC9200 family", the device ID is 0A03: "SFC 9220 10/40G Ethernet Controller", and the card's BIOS config reports its a "Flareon Ultra 8000 Series".

So it looks like its actually some variant of 8000 series, but is there a way to find out exactly which one?

TIA

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Yes. This looks like SFN8522. Not sure about Dell though - it would usually have a Dell sticker on the transceiver cage. As for the versions (PLUS/ONLOAD) - these differ by just preinstalled licenses, not hardware.

You can check installed keys with
sfkey ‐‐adapter=<ethX> ‐‐report

Here's the Dell P/N 0332MM

Last edited:
Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Thank you @Kei-0070 and @BeTeP . Its great to have knowledgeable folks willing to answer questions here.

sfkey reports: ....does not support licensing. Good to know, since I like knowing all I can, but not an issue for me I suppose. I hadn't anticipated using any of the licensed features in my home network.