Are these counterfeit Xeon CPUs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jason Hirsch

Feb 12, 2018
Reporting it as 'counterfeit' triggers a different investigation than just 'not as advertised'. I'd go that route. Then report on twitter...

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Here's my addition that I received today. Guessing it's actually an E5-2603v3. Hopefully this doesn't actually get put back into inventory, but I doubt Amazon would actually follow up. Have a feeling this is just going to become more and more common as it's not hard to laser engrave.

That's a V3 heatspreader!

xeonguy

Aug 29, 2020
Hey folks

I won a bid a few days ago on eBay for a Xeon 2680 V4. Seller had 0 reviews so was a little nervous but on the upside he was selling a lot of the same item. So figured, it's probably out of some old corporate department.

The IHS looks legit to my untrained eye, however when it arrived yesterday, I unpacked it and upon looking at the underside pins, things look .. well weird.

Unfortunately I don't actually have a 2011-V3 motherboard yet (it's coming), so can't test it. Below are some photo's I took earlier.

e-2680-v4-markedup.jpg

e-2680-v4-pinoverview.jpg

e-2680-v4-ihs.jpeg

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
That CPU doesn't appear to be counterfeit, just damaged. Aside from the missing capacitor, the edges are in really terrible shape. I'd advise you to return it and buy another. There is plenty of available inventory on eBay for $168.

Reactions: xeonguy

xeonguy

Aug 29, 2020
That CPU doesn't appear to be counterfeit, just damaged. Aside from the missing capacitor, the edges are in really terrible shape. I'd advise you to return it and buy another. There is plenty of available inventory on eBay for $168.
Thanks. I wondered what the missing part thingie was . It's odd because the buyer said they were tested working. Is that even possible if a capacitor is missing? Either way, agreed it has to go back!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It's possible, though hard to predict what the impact could be. They likely just tested it to POST and I wouldn't risk my personal hardware with a damaged CPU.

Reactions: xeonguy