need help setting up file share

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
ok so i have two computers one is a custom built gaming pc the other is my dell R610 server both run windows 10 pro released after homegroup was removed. both my desktop and the server can see each other but when i try to share/transfer files from my desktop to the server i get an error telling me i dont have permission even tho both computers have all permissions enabled any idea what the issue is

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I'm not being mean here when I say this, honestly, but I would suggest hitting the 'tube and research the plethora of tutorials on windows sharing and file and folder permissions. Whilst someone here could and would be happy to give you the answers you need to get you by right now, to really get a handle on it, you need to actually learn it by doing it. It's fundamental to everything else you are likely to be doing with your new server going forward. Trust me when I say, it will be time well spent :)

Edit: Checking out group policy wouldn't hurt you either, as complicated as it is, you will be amazed at what can be done at that level even with rudimentary understanding of it :)

DedoBOT

Dec 24, 2018
Check network connections profiles on both hosts - set them to private/personal/ if they're public - cant remember the exact term .
Power shell in admin mode is the way to go. Google it.

p.s
Find the connection name :
Get-NetConnectionProfile
then:
Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name “net1” -NetworkCategory Private

Last edited: