Unifi Strategy/16XG

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Curdie

Aug 12, 2015
I've got a Cisco 48-port SFP+ switch. It's way too big, I need like ten ports max to connect all of my servers and switches. What's the story with the 16XG now? I know it was terrible on release. Is it reliable and functional now? Should I hang onto my loud and hot Cisco switch, or could I replace it with the 16XG? I love Unifi management stuff and would like to replace all of my switches with Unifi POE switches.

Along the same line of inquiry, is there any real downside in the Unifi UI when it comes to just hanging on to the Cisco switch to link everything together? It's not very helpful when the Unifi switch shows dozens of clients on a single port because that port goes to a Cisco switch, but if all of my edge switches are Unifi that really isn't an issue, right? It's hard to visualize how this will work without just testing it.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Its supposed to be more stable and more likely to work with a lot of sfp+ transievers.

Downside? Takes longer to do stuff than in cli imo.. you have to point sand click so much it makes my arm hurt just thinking about it.. :/

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
They do have the edgemax version of the unifi switches if you prefer cli/web interface over the unifi platform.

I’m a fan of the single pane of glass, and it allows me to manage my extended family’s networks remotely as well, all from one portal.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
If you're looking at other options as well I'd throw the CRS317-1g-16S+ into the ring as well it's a bit cheaper but I have two and love them(although I use unifi access points that's a different conversation)

Kelv1n

May 21, 2019
What's the story with the 16XG now? I know it was terrible on release.
I was in a similar boat a couple of months ago, saw the horror stories surrounding this switch, I even went as far as ordering the Mikrotik 8 Port 10Gbe Switch... But, I had a change of heart because
  1. couldn't be bothered to wait 3 days for the Microtik to be delivered
  2. I really didn't want the hassle learning Mikrotik (I just wanted to plug-in and play)
  3. I wanted an easy life, my network and vlans were already configured in the UCK
Really glad I did, it took me 5 minutes to plugin assign the Port configs and go. The unit I received is really quiet and also runs cool, I've had zero problems with it. Usage wise, I'm utilising about 8 of the SFP+ ports, and 3 of the RJ45 (Though, the RJ45 is running at 1Gb, I don't have any 10Gb Base-T NICs)

My only gripe is the cost.. fact that it costs 2x more than the Mikrotik is crazy, but given I have so much Unifi kit anyway (4 switches, 4 APs, UCK and USG), the quick setup and no drama, made the additional cost more palatable.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I bought two XG16s from the beta store, and they have worked flawlessly. Everything I have ever plugged in to them has worked.

Curdie

Aug 12, 2015
Thanks for the info and advice, fellows! I've heard very good things about the MicroTik switches, but if the Unifi switch is solid I would really prefer to keep it all in the family. I believe I'll give it a go!

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I was in a similar boat a couple of months ago, saw the horror stories surrounding this switch, I even went as far as ordering the Mikrotik 8 Port 10Gbe Switch... But, I had a change of heart because
  1. couldn't be bothered to wait 3 days for the Microtik to be delivered
  2. I really didn't want the hassle learning Mikrotik (I just wanted to plug-in and play)
  3. I wanted an easy life, my network and vlans were already configured in the UCK
Really glad I did, it took me 5 minutes to plugin assign the Port configs and go. The unit I received is really quiet and also runs cool, I've had zero problems with it. Usage wise, I'm utilising about 8 of the SFP+ ports, and 3 of the RJ45 (Though, the RJ45 is running at 1Gb, I don't have any 10Gb Base-T NICs)

My only gripe is the cost.. fact that it costs 2x more than the Mikrotik is crazy, but given I have so much Unifi kit anyway (4 switches, 4 APs, UCK and USG), the quick setup and no drama, made the additional cost more palatable.
Why were you looking at the 8 port model instead of the 16 or the 4+24POE?(just curious)

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Why were you looking at the 8 port model instead of the 16 or the 4+24POE?(just curious)
He’s said he’s using 8x 10g sfp+ ports currently, I’d assume thats the amount he needed to save costs so a 4+24poe isnt enough 10g ports.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
He’s said he’s using 8x 10g sfp+ ports currently, I’d assume thats the amount he needed to save costs so a 4+24poe isnt enough 10g ports.
Yeah that makes sense there, the 16(CRS317-1G-16S+RM) however is regularly available on amazon(we got ours in 2 days) unlike the CRS309-1G-8S+IN which is a bit newer