Speedy NAS, help needed: Want 1.0GB/s

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
I do have a 900p but as far as I know it does not have PLP like the P3600? But I’ve also heard that this isn’t actually needed?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I do have a 900p but as far as I know it does not have PLP like the P3600? But I’ve also heard that this isn’t actually needed?
Only Intel can answer this and their tech or marketing department say no.
In the first edition of the specs plp was guaranteed,. They removed this then.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Last I looked, writes on optane devices didn't go through any caches and went straight to V-NAND, obviating the need for PLP. On top of that, optane is byte-addressable for reads and writes (i.e. not block-based) and thus doesn't need to go through the read-erase-modify-write fandango that NAND has to before a write can be committed. It's this property that results in its incredibly low latency.

If intel say the drives don't feature Enhanced Power Loss Protection - basically a trade name for a bunch of capacitors as far as I'm aware - it's because optane's don't have them and don't need them.

Last edited:

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
Then for my case, I will probably use the 900p for SLOG.... Not to run this topic off-track. :) I do still think that P3600 will suffice as a very good SLOG. Especially considering that the backend devices are HDDs and not SSDs