Supermicro X10SDV-16C-TLN4F+ - $500

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
These are really rare and this is the cheapest I've seen. Generally the 8 core models go for about this price. Only catch is that they've been delidded and you'll need to supply your own heatsink. I made an offer and they countered at $475, but I bet the moment everyone here starts putting in offers, they'll just sell for asking price.

Supermicro X10SDV-16C-TLN4F+ Motherboard Mini-ITX Intel Xeon D-1587 - AM | eBay

Reactions: Aestr

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
I'd be scared that I'd break the chip with a cooler.
I think that would be pretty hard if you torque each corner gradually. It's not like the socket A days where a shim is required from pressure being uneven during application due to the design.
Seems odd to me to delid a Xeon D...

Wish this deal came a year or more ago...now I'm looking at EPYC Rome :)

Thanks for posting
When Patrick did a review on swapping heatsinks, he noted the thermal compound was more like adhesive, so it wouldn't surprise me if they inadvertently ripped it off (though why 10 in a row is beyond me). See: https://www.servethehome.com/aftermarket-cooling-for-the-supermicro-x10sdv-xeon-d-motherboards/

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Custom watercooling blocks like the stuff ovh is doing perhaps? Squeezing over last watt into the water/Liquid before moving it

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
at 500 bucks a pop this would be a lot more compelling if it had the actual IHS still...I am sure that you could mount stuff to the die directly no problem but are any of the heat sinks for the chip able to actually physically reach down onto it?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
at 500 bucks a pop this would be a lot more compelling if it had the actual IHS still...I am sure that you could mount stuff to the die directly no problem but are any of the heat sinks for the chip able to actually physically reach down onto it?
They had a few with the IHS for $700, but they sold quickly. That's a good point however. I don't think the lid is particularly thick, but the mount does prevent over-tightening. I'd be tempted to risk it if the price were lower.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I wonder how well a really thick thermal pad over the entirety of the substrate would work?

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Anyone have an idea how to get a new IHS? I doubt the OC modders have one machined for this socket. I am reluctant to just screw down an aftermarket heat sink and risk damage to the chips. I wrote the seller. It's unusual that he has not listed the lack of IHS in the description.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
(though why 10 in a row is beyond me)
They did not do this by accident on all 10. I am hoping they kept the IHS but if their solution worked .... by the time it get to the liquidator the IHS is done and they auction it off to get an idea for value. The auction ends tomorrow morning. that should set a value for the seller.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Seller responded and said they do not have IHS or heatsinks to test, so 500 is a big ask to me. Sure, maybe they were apart of some custom solution that worked fine but I don't think that has any directly value translation to second hand hobbyist buyers and even for the users here who purchase it for their corporate environment what are they odds they're going to hook them up to enterprise liquid cooling solutions? Just my thought, I could be completely off base.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
2 auctions on this ending. I was bidding on both.
It looks like shill bidding.
I think auction is being run purely to establish value. $500 is too much but I suspect my bid of $300 may set the value. Of course if winning bidders are real then that sets the value

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Delidded went for $405 from a sniper.
Suspected Shill was $400
So you know what to offer on the delidded ones.

The regular one with heatsink went for $748
Previously was $700 as per earlier post.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
As expected here is the link. Seller has dropped asking price from $500 to $405 BO.
Given the delidding it was hard to establish a clear value. Now he has data

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Am I still crazy / totally off base for thinking that's still too much? How is this usable aside from custom LC solution.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
Am I still crazy / totally off base for thinking that's still too much? How is this usable aside from custom LC solution.
Why would you need a custom LC solution for this? Cooljag makes heatsinks for these and I'm sure you could get the original one from SM if you really wanted it.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Why would you need a custom LC solution for this? Cooljag makes heatsinks for these and I'm sure you could get the original one from SM if you really wanted it.
I think the issue is lack of IHS, which means there might be a gap.

Reactions: frogtech