whats the best os for my server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kaitlin4599

Jul 14, 2019
ok so i recently picked up a dell poweredge R610 lga 1366 rack mount. i would like to install an os to the internal usb drive but i am unsure what os to use a friend of mine suggested zorin os or windows server 2012 can those be installed and booted from the internal usb port?

if it matter i wanna do this since i have a spare usb drive that i dont have a use for

kapone

May 23, 2015
  • You bought a rack mount server.
  • It has an internal USB port/drive(?!?)
  • You have a friend.
  • You mentioned Server 2012 in the same line as an OS that I've never heard of (and I do this for a living)
  • You have a spare USB drive.
Did I get this right, or did I miss something?

Reactions: Tha_14

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
@kaitlin4599 We are all super helpful and friendly here, but it’s a bit hard to follow all the threads you’re creating about one server. Perhaps stick with one thread in the server section?

As for your OS, it depends on what you’re using your server for. What are your plans?

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
TIL of Zorin OS. It seems like it meant for new Linux desktop users. Not a good choice for server os.
Windows 2012 is ancient and probably should be skipped. Windows Server 2016 or 2019 is the way to go.

but to be honest, if you only have a single server, I'd make it virtual host with ESXi, hyper-v, Nutanix CE , proxmox or other hypervisors.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I'll second @BoredSysadmin with making it a hypervisor you can use vm's to do almost anything(I use hyper-v myself but ESXi free is good too) ESXi can boot from internal usb, windows server can't that i'm aware of but make sure you get a good drive for that and are willing to be patient with it since usb 2.0 isn't exactly quick.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Execept for ESXi or maybe Proxmox I wouldn't use any others on usb disk.
ESXi is thr best contestant as it is run mostly in RAM once booted.
With some twics Proxmox is the second runner-up. All others will kill the usb in about 6 month to a year.
Win server 2012 will kill it in6 month flat. Also it is very old.
Unless you have spare Microsoft license handy windows is to expensive for home use. But ymmv.