HBA for SAS-833TQ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chris230291

Jun 23, 2019
Hi. I have a SAS-833TQ. I would like a 8 port 6gb/s card that can accommodate my 10TB drives.
Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Assuming regular HDD, I’m a fan of the Dell h310/h200 flashed to 9211-8i IT mode, they’re only about $25 on ebay and pretty easy to flash yourself. (Or you can buy pre-flashed for about $40)

That and a couple of breakout cables should get you set.

You could also use the sata ports on your motherboard if you have enough.

Check out other options here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/

Chris230291

Jun 23, 2019
Assuming regular HDD, I’m a fan of the Dell h310/h200 flashed to 9211-8i IT mode, they’re only about $25 on ebay and pretty easy to flash yourself. (Or you can buy pre-flashed for about $40)

That and a couple of breakout cables should get you set.

You could also use the sata ports on your motherboard if you have enough.

Check out other options here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/
Thanks for the reply.
I have already seen that list. Doesn't really tell me what works with my setup and what wouldn't though.
Some manuals say cards don't support large drives, but then some report that they will work.
A little confusing.

Onboard not an option as all 3gb/s, other than 2 of them and my current card is only 3gb/s. Since i'm going mergerfs now to replace my ZFS, I would like the extra performance.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
What drives are you using? 3gb/s is usually enough with the exception of some of the high-end enterprise drives, but for the cost an HBA is the way to go to ensure no bottleneck.

You only have two set of 6gb/s ports sounds like you’re on the 1155 socket, make sure you have enough PCI lanes for the hba (recommended 8x pcie 2.0/3.0 slot) if you have an GPU/dedicated nic too.

Almost all of the SAS 2008 Controller cards and newer are 6gb/s+ and “no” hdd size limit (7 zeta bytes).

Thats more of a concern with the 1068 controllers and SAS1 HBAs.

Chris230291

Jun 23, 2019
At the moment in my ZFS I have 8 2TB WD greens.
The new 10TB disks are WD white labels.
The board is a 2011 socket X9DRi-LN4F+.
Sweet so anything 2008 and up should be OK?
The Dell one you recommended is cheap enough.
Something that doesn't matter 99% of the time, but is really annoying when trying to debug issues is the controller bios screen. It makes an already slow boot up even slower. If there are any cards that dont have one, that would be great.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
At the moment in my ZFS I have 8 2TB WD greens.
The new 10TB disks are WD white labels.
The board is a 2011 socket X9DRi-LN4F+.
Sweet so anything 2008 and up should be OK?
The Dell one you recommended is cheap enough.
Something that doesn't matter 99% of the time, but is really annoying when trying to debug issues is the controller bios screen. It makes an already slow boot up even slower. If there are any cards that dont have one, that would be great.
I'm using the the 8TB white labels with my H310 (just watch out for the 3.3v issue on the power with those).
I prefer the controller bios to ensure I did everything correctly :p.

Per marsh, the last part of a flash to IT mode is "sas2flash.efi -o -b mptsas2.rom" just skip that part when you flash it.
This is the guide I used for mine: Flash Dell PERC H310 to LSI 9211-8i IT Mode Using Legacy (DOS) and UEFI Method (HBA Firmware + BIOS) | JC-LAN.org

Reactions: Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
It's been couple of years since I flashed a Dell H310, what version do you recommended?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I don't think it matters, I have the 0HV52W version though.
Side note, some boards need the tape over the pcie pin to boot/work, I think thats not an issue in the supermicro boards though (at least its not one in mine).

edit: Or did you mean the firmware version?

Last edited:

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
@Marsh You should flash the last version: PH20.00.07.00-IT

I would choose HP H220 because PCI express 3.0 (with spinner doesn't make a difference) and for the vented bracket. You can find cheap HP H200 HBA's on ebay.

Reactions: Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Checked my notes.
Last time , I flashed Dell H310 was oct-2016. I used the IT firmware dated 2015.

I read a blog site, comparing H310 vs H200, the author claimed H310 run much cooler ( 30 degree lower ) than H200.

Do you know if it is true that H310 is better than H200?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Checked my notes.
Last time , I flashed Dell H310 was oct-2016. I used the IT firmware dated 2015.

I read a blog site, comparing H310 vs H200, the author claimed H310 run much cooler ( 30 degree lower ) than H200.

Do you know if it is true that H310 is better than H200?
I read that too, but no one confirmed it that compared the two side by side.
Some speculated it might be due to poor thermal compound differences, I replaced mine with some mx-4 and it definitely gets to unable to touch hot. I opted to put a 140mm fan over it, its in a standard case with a similar height mellanox card and soon to be 9206-16e, so the fan will span all 3 cards.
I plan to mount the fan with a pcie bracket eventually, the case sits on its side anyway currently though so it just rests on the cards.

Actually... I have a ir thermometer at work I could check the thermal of the h310 if you like at least the heat sink.

Last edited:

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
Some guys reported that changing thermal compound will reduce the temperatures at least with 3-4 degrees.
All my DELL H310's and DELL H200's were pulled from servers. I changed TIM on all of them. I noticed that all compound was dry.

I intented to use something like this but in the end i used this

bracket.jpg

Before that 40 mm fan was mounted on the heatsink and i couldn't use the pci slots near up or down.
Now, my NVME adapter, HBA and Mellanox network card are well cooled.

For checkink temperature i am alwasy using my finger. :D I don't have an IR thermometer. I am thinking to order one.

Regards,

Reactions: Spartacus and Marsh

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Some guys reported that changing thermal compound will reduce the temperatures at least with 3-4 degrees.
All my DELL H310's and DELL H200's were pulled from servers. I changed TIM on all of them. I noticed that all compound was dry.

I intented to use something like this but in the end i used this

Before that 40 mm fan was mounted on the heatsink and i couldn't use the pci slots near up or down.
Now, my NVME adapter, HBA and Mellanox network card are well cooled.

For checkink temperature i am alwasy using my finger. :D I don't have an IR thermometer. I am thinking to order one.

Regards,
Ha, thats the exact pcie bracket I was referencing.