Win 10 Driver for PERC H800 reflashed to LSI 9280

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Talonzme

Jul 9, 2019
I have a Dell Perc H800 that I flashed over to an LSI 9280-8e. This card is using the SAS 2108 chipset. I used the MegaRaid SAS FW image for 12.15.0-0239. Windows insists on using the Perc H800 driver and will not install any other. When I try to manually find the hardware through the driver dialogue the closest thing listed is the LSI 2108 Liberator. None of these work. When I point the driver dialogue to the downloaded Win10 driver it just says that the most suitable driver is already installed. Does anyone have information on what driver is actually needed and where to get it? This card is being connected to an external 8-bay eSATA enclosure via a SAS to 4 way eSATA cable. Right now it only recognizes the first drive in each of the enclosure planes (drives 1 and 5).

Server: Dell PowerEdge R710

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I don't think the driver is your issue; I don't think that the LSI will support sata port multipliers.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Yeah, port multipliers are SATA only, and come with a bag of issues. The biggest issues being that a single drive can take down all the drives on the same PMP, and you share the bandwidth of all drives on the PMP with a single SATA port. Also, there's two standards for the packets are handled, command-based switching and FIS (frame) switching. FIS is superior, but it's difficult finding the right combination of SATA HBA and PMP backplane.

If you haven't gone too far down the SATA PMP path, I'd recommend going with SAS Expanders instead. They provide SATA compatibility, but don't have the same short-comings as PMP.

Talonzme

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, port multipliers are SATA only, and come with a bag of issues. The biggest issues being that a single drive can take down all the drives on the same PMP, and you share the bandwidth of all drives on the PMP with a single SATA port. Also, there's two standards for the packets are handled, command-based switching and FIS (frame) switching. FIS is superior, but it's difficult finding the right combination of SATA HBA and PMP backplane.

If you haven't gone too far down the SATA PMP path, I'd recommend going with SAS Expanders instead. They provide SATA compatibility, but don't have the same short-comings as PMP.
I have looked a little into SAS expanders. I kind of reached the conclusion I would be buying a new tower but wanted to avoid that. I have been trying to find the backplane cards that I could replace in the existing tower that support SAS expansion. The tower is an 8 bay, vertical SansDigital TR8M tower. What I am running into is that most SAS backplane cards are made for rack mount enclosures vs. towers. Some ideas down this path would be appreciated.
My next thought would be to use the existing 2.5" drive bays in the server for the RAID (currently 6 empty slots). I suppose a cost comparison is in my future.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
@Talonzme - Yeah, I had a 3U rack mount case that used SATA PMP to run 12 drives. Performance was never great.

Looking at pictures of that case, it looks like the PMP is actually built into the backplane, so I'm not sure you'd be able to replace it.

It might be more cost effective to replace the external case with a newer 8 bay enclosure. I'm not sure what your budget might be like.

Hope that helps!

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
@Talonzme - Yeah, I had a 3U rack mount case that used SATA PMP to run 12 drives. Performance was never great.

Looking at pictures of that case, it looks like the PMP is actually built into the backplane, so I'm not sure you'd be able to replace it.

It might be more cost effective to replace the external case with a newer 8 bay enclosure. I'm not sure what your budget might be like.

Hope that helps!
I had a 4 slot tower from this company, and it certainly was this way-4 slot backplane with embedded multiplier, no easy way to rework it.

Talonzme

Jul 9, 2019
Thank you all for your expertise and input. Any recommendations on SAS expanders that would be within a household budget? This setup is a home server for Plex.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Thank you all for your expertise and input. Any recommendations on SAS expanders that would be within a household budget? This setup is a home server for Plex.
How many drives/how much noise can you tolerate?
for 12 drives, I like the xyratex 1235
Dell Xyratex Compellent HB-1235 12) 97NF9S1 - Seagate 15k 450GB ST3450857SS HDD | eBay
I'd make a (low) offer on that unit, showing 10+ available.
Edit: you don't need the LSI, you have the perc. Just need the cable.

FoxConn Mini-SAS SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 Cable - 1 Meter 3.5 Ft P/N 171C5 | eBay
All in maybe $150? Will have some noise, but similar to the dell...

Talonzme

Jul 9, 2019
How many drives/how much noise can you tolerate?
for 12 drives, I like the xyratex 1235
Dell Xyratex Compellent HB-1235 12) 97NF9S1 - Seagate 15k 450GB ST3450857SS HDD | eBay
I'd make a (low) offer on that unit, showing 10+ available.
Edit: you don't need the LSI, you have the perc. Just need the cable.

FoxConn Mini-SAS SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 Cable - 1 Meter 3.5 Ft P/N 171C5 | eBay
All in maybe $150? Will have some noise, but similar to the dell...
The cost is definitely within range but the unit is under my desk in the family room. I think 60db would be a bit high. I guess I would have to pay for quiet :)

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Next best option probably a homemade equivalent, only 8 drives would not require an expander at all. Essentially any case can be made into a drive box.