WWYD: Dell OEM-R Bios

Send it back for the other unit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I recently bought a dell r730xd off ebay. I got the server monday and found out the bios was not dell but OEM-R Simplivity omnicube. I discussed with the vendor and they found a non oem-r dell system they would swap out for this one. I was able to update the bios to latest version on the server and other then a cable missing (which they are looking to send ) it seems to work without issues. So should i bother with sending the server back to get the dell branded model or keep this one and see about a discount due to my time wasted/hassle? If I send it back I would have to redo all the time i spent testing, etc..

Any issues i should consider with OEM-R versions of dell hardware?

The unit is dell r730xd with 2xe5-2680 v3 and 256GB Ram. The idrac is enterprise and it has dual 10GB/1GB daughter card and dual sd card reader and h730p raid card. so it's nicely equipped.

Thoughts?

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Were you able to updated it to the latest dell bios? If so then there really shouldn't be any difference between that and the other one. Most of the appliances that are rebranded dell servers from my experience are cosmetic changes with a bios tweak or two, not hardware level.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Were you able to updated it to the latest dell bios? If so then there really shouldn't be any difference between that and the other one. Most of the appliances that are rebranded dell servers from my experience are cosmetic changes with a bios tweak or two, not hardware level.
After some playing i was able to update bios and various firmware. I also read about the cosmetic aspect, wasnt sure about the hardware, etc.