Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

siliconnerd

Jun 5, 2019
Does anyone have experience with using TDR for cable debug? I have have setup a ICX6610-48P as a core switch for my new house. I have one cable run of ~150ft that is giving me problems. The TDR test looks like it is properly terminated, it is powering the AP at the end of the run, but it won't seem to link at any speed.

Code:
SSH@ICX6610-48P Router#show inline power 1/1/46

Port   Admin   Oper    ---Power(mWatts)---  PD Type  PD Class  Pri  Fault/
        State   State   Consumed  Allocated                          Error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1/1/46 On      On          7300      30000  802.3at  Class 4     1  n/a
SSH@ICX6610-48P Router#show interfaces ethernet 1/1/46
GigabitEthernet1/1/46 is down, line protocol is down
  Port down for 3 minute(s) 48 second(s)
  Hardware is GigabitEthernet, address is cc4e.243c.0d78 (bia cc4e.243c.0da5)
  Configured speed auto, actual unknown, configured duplex fdx, actual unknown
  Configured mdi mode AUTO, actual unknown
  Member of 3 L2 VLANs, port is dual mode in Vlan 2, port state is BLOCKING
  BPDU guard is Disabled, ROOT protect is Disabled, Designated protect is Disabled
  Link Error Dampening is Disabled
  STP configured to ON, priority is level0, mac-learning is enabled
  Openflow is Disabled, Openflow Hybrid mode is Disabled,  Flow Control is config enabled, oper enabled, negotiation disabled
  Mirror disabled, Monitor disabled
  Mac-notification is disabled
  Not member of any active trunks
  Not member of any configured trunks
  Port name is wifi-garage
  Inter-Packet Gap (IPG) is 96 bit times
  MTU 1500 bytes, encapsulation ethernet
  300 second input rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
  300 second output rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
  16107 packets input, 3723084 bytes, 0 no buffer
  Received 1044 broadcasts, 3847 multicasts, 11216 unicasts
  0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 ignored
  0 runts, 0 giants
  77585 packets output, 12908086 bytes, 0 underruns               
  Transmitted 4967 broadcasts, 59834 multicasts, 12784 unicasts
  0 output errors, 0 collisions
  Relay Agent Information option: Disabled
SSH@ICX6610-48P Router#phy cable-diagnostics tdr 1/1/46
SSH@ICX6610-48P Router#show cable-diagnostics tdr 1/1/46

Port    Speed   Local pair      Pair Length     Remote pair     Pair status
----    -----   ----------      -----------     -----------     -----------
1/1/46  UNKWN   Pair A          N/A    M        Pair B          Terminated
                Pair B          N/A    M        Pair A          Terminated
                Pair C          N/A    M        Pair D          Terminated
                Pair D          N/A    M        Pair C          Terminated
If I disconnect the AP, it shows the cable as being open.
Code:
SSH@ICX6610-48P Router#phy cable-diag tdr 1/1/46       
SSH@ICX6610-48P Router#show cable-diagnostics tdr 1/1/46

Port    Speed   Local pair      Pair Length     Remote pair     Pair status
----    -----   ----------      -----------     -----------     -----------
1/1/46  UNKWN   Pair A          0000033M                        Open       
                Pair B          0000035M                        Open       
                Pair C          0000036M                        Open       
                Pair D          0000033M                        Open
Trying to see if there is any additional debugging available before I start looking at re-pulling the line or invest in a cable tester.

maes

Nov 11, 2018
I cut out some rack ears using the files posted, but they don't seem to match at all when I went to check. Will be a while before I can pull my switch off the rack if I need to measure it's ears.
could be the alcohol, but I'm pretty sure he made ICX6450 ears and it looks like you have a 6610?
Ah yeah, sorry, those were ICX6450 ears. Just realized nowhere in our exchanges did we discuss if we were even talking about ears for the same rack model.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
could be the alcohol, but I'm pretty sure he made ICX6450 ears and it looks like you have a 6610?
I don't need alcohol. I ran my finger across Waterjet some 25+ years ago when I was young and stupid. That was an industrial one. Luckily it wasn't fully pressurized and was in the process of getting ready. Simple band-aid was enough and I still have all the fingers. :)

Reactions: tommybackeast

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Hello.
I have my eyes on 7150-C12P because it's fanless, and the house rack is directly next to my wife's (who sometimes works from home) desk, and if there was additional noise I would find myself in a world of pain soon.
I originally wanted 6450-24P, and even though the fan can be swapped out for something more silent, every additional fan is a bad thing. The 3 HDDs in the server (which is in the opposite corner of the living room) are noisy enough (I'm sensitive to this sort of hum) alone.

Anyway, the 7150 looks just like what I need, but the prices are killing me. The cheapest I ever found was $400, shipping excluded.
Just how new are the 7000 series is? You can barely find this particular model at all, and typically way more expensive than $400.

Is there possibly any other source than Ebay or something? The fact that I'm from Europe doesn't help either as some sellers refuse to ship stuff outside of U.S.

Reactions: Stephan

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
I have my eyes on 7150-C12P because it's fanless
IMHO the only thing going for this switch is PoE+fanless. Do you need PoE? If not, you can go for a fanless and very cheap 1 Gbps Dell PowerConnect 2816 just as well, because while your server might be connected via 10 GBps, your PC will probably be on one of the 1 Gbps ports and that will limit your speed. The switch only has 2 10 GBps capable SFP+ ports. So you either need SFP+ in PC/server as well or some 30-meter-only SFP+ 10GBaseT module.

Maybe there is a better option (also for Europe) if you can tell us if you want PoE and how many/which SFP+ ports.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I do not need PoE, but it's very useful because of rack spagetti. We're currently connected via wifi, and the damn AP on the roof needs a PoE injector. That's a box and extra network cable. Then there will be a wifi AP somewhere on the ceiling or a wall (whatever), which would be additional wire and socket plug to mess around with in the rack.
So if I can help it, I do want PoE.

I also don't need more than say two SFP+ ports, because I mainly need to connect the server (because of a NAS VM) via 10GBit for when more PCs access it at the same time, and I also want my own PC sped up (that's where most traffic comes from). The rest can be gigabit for all I care.
I also like to have at least somewhat modern hardware in the house (silly reason...), so the 7150 looks like the best choice.

Superworms

Jun 12, 2019
Just received my 6610 about a week ago but its just been sitting in my rack. Besides updating the firmware to the latest available, anyone have any recommendations on how I can test out the switch to make sure everything is working fine? I belive I have an 10gb card I can stick into a test machine but currently looking for some guidance on what my next steps should be after the updates.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Is the 40Gb module in the 6610 series something I can remove from one unit and transplant into another? Thinking about getting a cheap(-er) 6610-24 or something with a working 40Gb module and swapping it into my 6610-48p, instead of buying a whole 'nother 6610-48p, if it's possible to do that.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Is the 40Gb module in the 6610 series something I can remove from one unit and transplant into another? Thinking about getting a cheap(-er) 6610-24 or something with a working 40Gb module and swapping it into my 6610-48p, instead of buying a whole 'nother 6610-48p, if it's possible to do that.
if you're careful yes, but it needs to be from the same port count switch (24 or 48). the 48 port models have the serial port and OOB mgmt port integrated into the stack card, while the 24 ports do not (theyre on the front)

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
Received my 6610-48p from eBay today. I'm a bit miffed that it arrived with damaged ports (not from shipping) without being disclosed before purchasing

Imgur
Imgur

Seems the damage is only on the outside plate of the ports. No signs of stress internally. The port blocks are all straight.

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
Imgur

Seems the damage is only on the outside plate of the ports. No signs of stress internally. The port blocks are all straight.
Ah, nevermind. Bunch of dead ports. First time I've been burned in eBay in a decade.

Beware that seller I guess as they claim it was fully tested. Damage didn't happen in shipping. It was very well packaged and the box is intact.

b1g_bake

Jun 27, 2019
I snagged a 6450-48P off ebay and it should be here soon. I plan to read this whole thread before I start to ask any questions. I got the idea to look into these switches from Vicious Computers on YouTube. Glad to see a great community here as well.

microserf

May 20, 2019
Beware that seller I guess as they claim it was fully tested. Damage didn't happen in shipping. It was very well packaged and the box is intact.
I've purchased two used TurboIron 24X switches from different eBay sellers that stated they were tested and in working condition. One of them claimed to have certified technicians inspecting things. Both switches arrived with configurations from the rack they'd been pulled from - one from Verisign and one from Symantec - with VLANs, access lists, LAGs, disabled ports, TACACS+, et cetera. :)

(I've also picked up a new ICX 7250-48P. @fohdeesha should not be permitted to create home budget destroying threads.)

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
Yeah I've been trying to convince myself of a 7250-48p instead as the power usage is lower and I have no realistic need for 40gbe...

The seller is currently trying to convince me that the non-functional ports just needs to be enabled in software... Yeah dude, the whole switch is enabled except the ports that are smashed...

katilinus

Oct 8, 2018
I already bough one of those for the 6610 and in this case I guess I should be fine with a regular mini usb to usb adapter ?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
it's basically the same connection as well, the switch will show up as a USB to console device and you can connect right away. So the functionality is exactly the same between the two ports. If you already have USB to RJ45 console cable there's no need to connect another way.
nope. the USB console port on the 7250 is NOT a usb connection. It's RS232 serial over a usb connector. You will fry it trying to plug it directly into a computer's USB port or any of these USB adapters. This is the ONLY console cable that will work (unless you make your own), I dunno how many times I can post this: Mini-USB(M) to RJ45(M), 8ft, Brocade Console Cable, + 9pin(F) to RJ45(F) adapter | eBay

a search of this thread for "7250 serial" brings up 6 previous posts covering this

also, the 7250 does not have an RJ45 console port either. it sounds like you're thinking of a totally different switch

edit: sorry if I sounded like an asshole, but this thread has become very repetitive

Last edited: