Intel Xeon E-2200 Series SKU List and Value Analysis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
The prices on these parts are screaming for AMD to start pushing for a Motherboard partner to seriously pick the Xeon E3 market...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I covered this in the Forrest discussion. AMD is not targeting the E-2x00 space right now because it is a small market.

Low volume and low price is less attractive for them to invest in than higher volume higher price

Reactions: zir_blazer

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
I covered this in the Forrest discussion. AMD is not targeting the E-2x00 space right now because it is a small market.

Low volume and low price is less attractive for them to invest in than higher volume higher price
Technically, AMD does not have to do anything to compete with the Xeons E3, I think that the responsability falls more with their Motherboard partners, since AMD already provides products that could be used as-is for that market. I mean, standard Ryzens support ECC, so the only difference against a Xeon E3 may be in DASH (Which is supposed to be supported by Ryzen Pros, but of which I found no info about how it works) vs vPro, yet people that uses Server Motherboards with BMCs doesn't seem to care about those. This is whenever a Motherboard manufacturer independently decides to come out with a product like the AsRock Rack Socket AM4 Motherboard with BMC/IPMI.
So far, no one seems to want to risk to make products with features that stand out for a specific market, which is the reason why I find the AMD platforms rather unexciting...

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Still the biggest limitation on these cpu’s is ram, would make decent servers where low core count high frequency is needed but the ram limit means no chance. Actually I think intel could just drop them and have consumer, embedded, and enterprise and would not loose any customers.

Dario Stefek

Jul 1, 2019
I would love to see bench comparing E-2200 (especially higher end 6-core and 8-core parts) and Xeon Bronze and Silvers.
For some smaller servers with let we say 5 or little more virtual servers E.2200 would be just fine. And cheaper than Bronze/Silver platform. Or for specialized small size database server, as well (Oracle licensing comes to my mind). Equipped with 128GB of RAM and NVMe storage it should be very competitive.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Dario Stefek they only support 64gb ram, hence my point, if they supported 512gb the 8-cores would indeed make nice small oracle systems.

Dario Stefek

Jul 1, 2019
Intel claims 128GB RAM max. (of course once 32GB modules find a way to market).
Anyhow, in my country Oracle server with 128GB is pretty nice installation