Thoughts on Intel S2600WT2?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm looking at a Intel server with the S2600WT2 motherboard. I was wondering what others here have experienced with this motherboard? Are there any "undocumented" restrictions or issues? How easy is it to upgrade this to support v4 CPUs? Any other opinions? If you have this board, how would you compare it against another brand? (Supermicro? dell?)

I'm doing my own online searching for info too, but the amount of information online is not as plentiful as I'd hope...

I did find this STH thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/what-did-i-miss-intel-s2600wt2.14492/

TIA for any info you can share..

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
My experience with Intel boards is limited to S2600CP2J & S2600IP4 (V1/V2) CPUs.

IPMI is add-on (RMM4LITE) for these boards
With V1 CPUs, CP2 board ran some 3rd party PCIe cards as Gen2.

I find documentation usually better organized than Supermicro.

Reactions: BLinux

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Upgrading Intel boards is usually a simple process via UEFI, sometimes you need to have an intermediate version in between.
The server is nice, quite loud initially but settles down ( do a warm boot if it does not). IIrc its finicky with SAS cables to backplane, SM ones didnt work, Intel cable kit (from expander) worked fine. Little to no free power connectors, but lots of expandability onboard (sas, 10/56g nic).

Had a weird issue that it did not want to fit my old rack since it was like 4mm too wide, but not sure if that was a rack or case issue. Have not tried on the new one.

Reactions: BLinux

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@Rand__
Not specific to this board / server but I got couple of the FUPLESK from KalleyOmalley for $15 ea + shipping back when E5-2670 v1 thread was active. (list price $99). The kit has a ton of electrical cables etc. Sometimes Intel does a poor job of what is included in the kit and this is one of those. Has lots of useful and good quality cables including PCie graphics power cables both 6 & 8 pin variants for really good price. I know you are across the pond and shipping, Customs/ VAT may make these unattractive for you.

Reactions: Rand__