Aruba MAS series SFP+ & POE+ switches sub-$100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Has anyone tried this? I thought to try this myself, but can't seem to find the correct command. I've got 20 unused Gigabit ports on my S3500-24T and am curious if disabling them reduces the power draw.
I very much doubt it. Just define a switching profile with the command shutdown then associate the ports to that profile.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I very much doubt it. Just define a switching profile with the command shutdown then associate the ports to that profile.
This would only come into play with the SFP+ ports and even then, if you have plugged in and unused optics...just unseat the optics to drop the power draw.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
This would only come into play with the SFP+ ports and even then, if you have plugged in and unused optics...just unseat the optics to drop the power draw.
Oh well, that won't work then. The 10G are the only ones I have fully populated. I was just trying be creative about quieting it down. The S3500 isn't awful, but is pretty noticeable. Unlike the S2500, the S3500 has a 51db fan embedded in the middle of the removable power supply and it doesn't slow down anywhere near as much as the ones in the fan tray once the system is up and running. I don't think a Noctua will work in there, as its pretty tight quarters and probably needs the static pressure to move the air.

whiskthecat

Jun 28, 2019
Does anyone know if S2500 can be used as a controller to manage non IAP Aruba wireless access points? The datasheet mentions this as a feature but with an asterisk that it is part of a future roadmap.

Gage Burchett

Jun 29, 2019
Portsmouth, VA
Hi everyone,

I've tried figuring it out how to setup VLAN with my S2500-24P, I have two switches, one in house and one in garage, 2 IAP-225 each. Router is WatchGuard XTM 850 which support VLAN.

I need to set up a guest access through VLAN 100 to switches and IAP for guest people who want use my WiFi.

I setup VLAN configuration page on S2500 to add VLAN 100 then trunk then set as G22 (where VLAN 100 connected to watchguard), set same as port to IAP-225, then testing it, unable to obtain IP address on guest access wifi. Same to second switch.

Router:

- WatchGuard XTM 850

Switch:

- S2500-24P

AP:

4x IAP-225

manfri

Nov 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've tried figuring it out how to setup VLAN with my S2500-24P, I have two switches, one in house and one in garage, 2 IAP-225 each. Router is WatchGuard XTM 850 which support VLAN.

I need to set up a guest access through VLAN 100 to switches and IAP for guest people who want use my WiFi.

I setup VLAN configuration page on S2500 to add VLAN 100 then trunk then set as G22 (where VLAN 100 connected to watchguard), set same as port to IAP-225, then testing it, unable to obtain IP address on guest access wifi. Same to second switch.

Router:

- WatchGuard XTM 850

Switch:

- S2500-24P

AP:

4x IAP-225
I wuold setup a port as access port on VLAN100 untagged on both switch, and test. with a pc if i get ip address and work as expected.

When this work the move on on IAP config for wifi.

Gage Burchett

Jun 29, 2019
Portsmouth, VA
Aruba switch is new to me so I just want to learn how it work with VLAN and stuff to functioning. Previous I used to have Cisco.

So that “access” on port will work instead trunk?

For first switch that connected to router, I set VLAN 100 on port 22 then what about other switch?

manfri

Nov 19, 2015
Aruba switch is new to me so I just want to learn how it work with VLAN and stuff to functioning. Previous I used to have Cisco.

For first switch that connected to router, I set VLAN 100 on port 22 then what about other switch?
Ill'work only to check if vlans are correctly setup and it's not an IAP problem.

Your config worked with Cisco?

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016

Cisco - Aruba
Access Port - Tagged Port
Trunk Port - Untagged Port (where untagged vlans added are part of the trunk)

You can also have a port both untagged and tagged with the same vlan essentially your native vlan but it doesn't have to be native on every port.

You only need "trunk" if you need more than one vlan to go through a given interface.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I don't think Aruba pre-HPE ever made a CLI comparison vs Cisco CLI for easy translation but HPE has since. https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04793912

These switches run on code originally forked from the 6.x wireless controller code and the CLI is a bit different. The above CLI reference should give an idea on the command used, after a quick scan through it the commands are a mix of two different current HPE lines.

Gage Burchett

Jun 29, 2019
Portsmouth, VA
Cisco - Aruba
Access Port - Tagged Port
Trunk Port - Untagged Port (where untagged vlans added are part of the trunk)

You can also have a port both untagged and tagged with the same vlan essentially your native vlan but it doesn't have to be native on every port.

You only need "trunk" if you need more than one vlan to go through a given interface.
Thank you! That’s what I was looked for, Access - Tagges
Trunk - Untagged

I haven’t test it yet, will try ASAP!

jac389psu

Jul 4, 2019
Update:
If I do a factory reset, and enter the GUI setup, I can finish the one-time setup and configure a static IP on the switch. If I leave the switch alone after that it's run for over 2.5hrs without rebooting, it runs poe and basic unmanaged networking fine. However, if I do a "write memory" and "reload" from the cli to reboot the switch, it immediately falls back into the cycle of rebooting every 10-20mins. In the minutes between each reboot, it does finish booting and appears to work fine ..... :-/

Original:
I just bought a new-to-me s2500 and have been suffering from repeated random reboots on the switch, usually every 10-20min. In the logs I'm seeing Reboot Cause: Hard Watchdog reset (0xee:0xee:0x800b). I imagine it's a kernel panic but haven't been able to track it down yet.

Anyone else see something similar?

I immediately upgraded to 7.4.1.10 after getting the switch, but booting off the original 7.4.0.3 image that was on the second partition hasn't changed the reboot cycling either. I've done a factory reset but the help manual makes it sound like it may still retain some of the current state.

I looked into the stacking functionality, to see if maybe the devices is failing to find a primary switch, and thus rebooting, but that doesn't appear to be the issue. I'll play around with this a little more in case I find something that resolves this and can help others!

Thoughts? :(

Last edited:

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Does anyone know if S2500 can be used as a controller to manage non IAP Aruba wireless access points? The datasheet mentions this as a feature but with an asterisk that it is part of a future roadmap.
The functionality never made. I'd guess partially due to the HPE acquisition (product direction change) and partially due to IAP's being able to scale for most smaller deployments.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Update:
If I do a factory reset, and enter the GUI setup, I can finish the one-time setup and configure a static IP on the switch. If I leave the switch alone after that it's run for over 2.5hrs without rebooting, it runs poe and basic unmanaged networking fine. However, if I do a "write memory" and "reload" from the cli to reboot the switch, it immediately falls back into the cycle of rebooting every 10-20mins. In the minutes between each reboot, it does finish booting and appears to work fine ..... :-/

Original:
I just bought a new-to-me s2500 and have been suffering from repeated random reboots on the switch, usually every 10-20min. In the logs I'm seeing Reboot Cause: Hard Watchdog reset (0xee:0xee:0x800b). I imagine it's a kernel panic but haven't been able to track it down yet.

Anyone else see something similar?

I immediately upgraded to 7.4.1.10 after getting the switch, but booting off the original 7.4.0.3 image that was on the second partition hasn't changed the reboot cycling either. I've done a factory reset but the help manual makes it sound like it may still retain some of the current state.

I looked into the stacking functionality, to see if maybe the devices is failing to find a primary switch, and thus rebooting, but that doesn't appear to be the issue. I'll play around with this a little more in case I find something that resolves this and can help others!

Thoughts? :(
I'd try booting of the 7.4.0.3 partition and then flash a build in the middle over the partition with 7.4.1.10.

Reactions: jac389psu

jac389psu

Jul 4, 2019
I'd try booting of the 7.4.0.3 partition and then flash a build in the middle over the partition with 7.4.1.10.
Thanks! This has actually worked quite well! I walked back to 7.4.0.4, and although there was instability even on 7.4.0.3, it immediately stayed up for 5-6hrs before I manually rebooted it. I walked sequentially through about 5 versions of the 7.4.0.x series, before moving to 7.4.1.0, and jumped through 2-3 versions of that branch, until I worked back up to 7.4.1.10.

At which point, it looks like the reboots are gone! So, although it doesn't appear to be called out in the upgrade release notes, there may be some required upgrade flows. If you hit trouble, I'd try walking through a few of the firmware releases in sequence.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Ok, I'm trying to segment my IOT and guest crap off, and it is kicking my butt.
Have an Aruba s2500, and having issues getting routing working.
Basic configuration:
Firewall is 192.168.15.1, connected to s2500 on port 0 and 192.168.15.2 IP address. Port 0 is set as uplink/untagged. The firewall is a TP-Link box.
Right now VLAN 1 is 192.168.15.x/255.255.255.0. Consider this my old, existing network.

I've got vlans 98 and 99 defined as 192.168.98.x and 192.168.99.x, both 255.255.255.0, with the switch set as .1 on each vlan.
I have the internal s2500 dhcp server working on both vlans, and if I connect a vm network adapter tagged with 98 or 99 to the trunked switch port I can pull an appropriate .99.x or .98.x ip address. I can ping from the H-V guest inside VLAN 98 to the .15.2 switch address, but nothing else on .15.x or the .15.1 gateway.
What I haven't managed to do is define the routes from the vlans to the gateway.
I've tried in the routing config to declare 192.168.98.x /255.255.255.0 nexthop 192.168.15.1, but that doesn't work.
I'm sure I'm missing something stupid, but it is kicking my butt...
Thanks!

Reactions: Samir

manfri

Nov 19, 2015
On aruba you've configured the default gateway as 192.168.15.1 ?
On tplink fw you' have routed the 192.168.98.x/24 and 192.168.99.x/24 network to 192.168.15.2 (the aruba)?

The tplink fw is able to have multiple subnet on the LAN side?

But if you need to access from .15 network reliably some on 98 and 99 network i strong advise to switch to a setup like one of these, otherwise you'll face asimmetric route or setting static routing on devices in the .15. network.

Much depends on the type of separation between the networks, usually a L3 switch has a performance advantage but as enforcing security rules sucks, and viceversa a firewall is better at security and not so good as raw network performance...

Attachments

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
On aruba you've configured the default gateway as 192.168.15.1 ?
On tplink fw you' have routed the 192.168.98.x/24 and 192.168.99.x/24 network to 192.168.15.2 (the aruba)?

The tplink fw is able to have multiple subnet on the LAN side?

But if you need to access from .15 network reliably some on 98 and 99 network i strong advise to switch to a setup like one of these, otherwise you'll face asimmetric route or setting static routing on devices in the .15. network.

Much depends on the type of separation between the networks, usually a L3 switch has a performance advantage but as enforcing security rules sucks, and viceversa a firewall is better at security and not so good as raw network performance...
I'm not sure if the TPL can handle multiple subnets. I could try adding static routes in it, and see if it works, but then I'm not using the aruba. I've tried both with and without default-gateway configured.
Yeah, that is what I have been thinking I need to do, or I think I could also just NAT the two VLANS, which might be the real simple solution. I had been trying to do things without blowing up the native network until I had the VLANS working, as the home customer base gets really upset when stuff doesn't work.
My concern with using an arrangement such as left-hand diagram is how to handle port forwarding, unless I extend the .100 network through the aruba to the server via a VLAN adapter.
Thanks!