E5-2678v3 @ 139$ SR20Z 2.5GHz 12 Core

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

posternutbag

Jan 2, 2019
I asked Central Valley Computer what those boards were intended for, but he didn't know. Seems like a nice guy if anyone else cares to try and find out more. The single PCIe slot just turns me off too much.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
What about dual socket 2011-3 boards that take DDR3?? :D
I hope I'm not wrong, but I'm pretty sure they do exist and they are strongly linked to this processor.
I recall a couple of threads on the E5-2678 V3 that mentioned this was a custom SKU Intel created for Facebook for the Winterfell (Windmill v2) iteration. The story I read was that FB wanted a DDR3 variant due to the DDR4 shortage at the time, and Intel obliged.
Again, I could be very wrong on everything, but it's the only reason I can imagine for this listing:
QUANTA WINTERFELL BAREBONE CHASSIS WITH HEATSINK SUPPORT XEON E5-2678v3 CPU

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
I hope I'm not wrong, but I'm pretty sure they do exist and they are strongly linked to this processor.
I recall a couple of threads on the E5-2678 V3 that mentioned this was a custom SKU Intel created for Facebook for the Winterfell (Windmill v2) iteration. The story I read was that FB wanted a DDR3 variant due to the DDR4 shortage at the time, and Intel obliged.
Again, I could be very wrong on everything, but it's the only reason I can imagine for this listing:
QUANTA WINTERFELL BAREBONE CHASSIS WITH HEATSINK SUPPORT XEON E5-2678v3 CPU
Believe you are correct, although i don't think only fb got the v3 ddr3 chips as oems.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Those central valley boards sure look like they would take a hba and nic with mezzanine port ... they look like Intel but o/c i dont know.
With these in place they might be very nice boards ...

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Believe you are correct, although i don't think only fb got the v3 ddr3 chips as oems.
I also suspect that's the case, just didn't have much to support it other than reasonable guesses.
I do wonder why we've only seen the Quanta Winterfell nodes on the market though. Where are the other OEM's boards?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I'd been told before that early revisions of the Dell M630 blade actually supported DDR3 with V3 chips, I am wondering if they have the same setup that was described earlier (missing the socket pins for DDR4). But AFAIK there's no way to tell which are which unless you check a service tag for the ship date and get some early ass model I guess.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If the CPU can handle >2133mhz DDR4 then DDR4 makes more sense if RAM latency is important, but if its DDR3 vs 2133 then yes, I'd say DDR3.

Syndroma

Nov 5, 2017
2678v3 prices are ridiculous. Or rather V2 prices are ridiculous, up 10-30% from the winter. I guess there's a huge fleet of Windmills demanding more V2s.
Winterfells are more expensive and less convenient.

Reactions: ru me

posternutbag

Jan 2, 2019
Its not the board i had in mind but that seems very interesting to me. I'll have a look.
What about dual socket 2011-3 boards that take DDR3?? :D
Those central valley boards sure look like they would take a hba and nic with mezzanine port ... they look like Intel but o/c i dont know. With these in place they might be very nice boards ...
I went ahead and bought one of those dual motherboards. He caught me at a weak moment, armed with a discount.
Asked seller to rethink his price increase. He changed the price back to 139$ one left.
Thanks. I bought 2 last night at 139/ea. I guess I'll let y'all know when they arrive and I try it all out together. Thanks everyone.

Sonner

Jan 20, 2016
I went ahead and bought one of those dual motherboards. He caught me at a weak moment, armed with a discount.Thanks. I bought 2 last night at 139/ea. I guess I'll let y'all know when they arrive and I try it all out together. Thanks everyone.
I am planning to get one of those inventec boards that take ddr3. Which model did you get? B600GG0? Any problems with it?

Thanks,
Sonner

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
I went ahead and bought one of those dual motherboards. He caught me at a weak moment, armed with a discount.Thanks. I bought 2 last night at 139/ea. I guess I'll let y'all know when they arrive and I try it all out together. Thanks everyone.
they arrive yet?

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
Sorry guys. I did get the board but I’ve been too busy to play with it. If either of y’all want it, I’d be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping, if you promise to report back your findings!
Promise. Need to source some ddr3 too, I’ll pm you my address, let me know the cost.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Yea I held off on upgrading my X58 because of crazy RAM prices but now is a decent time even though all the name brand X99 boards are super pricey. I was queezy about Chinese X99 boards and ended up grabbing an Asus used.

Reactions: Sleyk