Weird Supermicro x9-DRW-IF Issue - 5 Beeps - No Output Devices

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Drooh

May 4, 2019
One of my Supermicro X9's won't post. It has been working without issue for months. I powered it down to install new HBA, powered back up and get 5 beeps, and no post.

Removed all RAM, HDD, PCI-e cards, installed 1 stick of brand new RAM. Powered back up I get the same 5 beeps. (the tone is different than the 5 long 1 short beep I get when no RAM is installed).

After searching for a week or two, this is the only thing I have come up with "No Console Input or Output Devices are found" is 5 beeps on AMI BIOS for this model motherboard.

The supermicro FAQ doesn't elaborate further or provide any steps, or solution.

I'm curious how to fix this problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Drooh

May 4, 2019
I narrowed it a little bit.

The BMC Led light on the motherboard is not blinking, this goes along with the beeps I am hearing.

Not sure what to do from here, but starting the search.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
you have tried a cmos reset?
Can you turn off bmc via jumper to rule that out if above does not help?

Drooh

May 4, 2019
Yep, I reset CMOS. I just changed the jumper on BMC. I get the same amount of beeps. No video output yet, but it could be taking longer than usual to boot.

So far, nothing yet.

Drooh

May 4, 2019
Yep, I reset CMOS. I just changed the jumper on BMC. I get the same amount of beeps. No video output yet, but it could be taking longer than usual to boot.

So far, nothing yet.

Drooh

May 4, 2019
It’s doing the 5 long-ish beeps followed by high pitched 4 beeps. Just does it once.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
ok, with activated bmc, can you connect to that? or is it not initializing that?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
also, is it the same beep code with old ram too? different slot?

Drooh

May 4, 2019
I believe it is not activating that. The BMC LED is not on. The UID LED is not on either.

The BMC is not working, is my understanding.

Drooh

May 4, 2019
also, is it the same beep code with old ram too? different slot?
I’ll try a different slot. I’ve got the RAM plugged into the first blue dim.

And the second set of beeps is weird. It’s faster and not the same rhythmic pattern.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
I realize this thread is a few years old now, but I just had the same issue, and found a solution to it, and figured I'd post here in case anyone else comes searching for the same thing.

So here is something I didn't realize about the Supermicro boards. What first shows up on screen when you power them up is a special pre-POST video output. Most motherboards would just have a blank screen until POST.

Normally the pre-post screen displays during initializing of the system, then once complete, it switches to the final video output.

The 5 beeps happen if once the pre-post screen is complete, and it goes to switch to the final video output, there is no video output to switch to. It then beeps 5 times and fails.

This might happen if you are using a video card in the Supermicro board. Especially it might happen if in PCIe settings you set Video Oprom to EFI only. Then the system will not detect any legacy video outputs (including the on board VGA built into the BMC), If you fdon't ahve any EFI capable video device installed, the system will not find a video device and fail to proceed to POST and give you 5 beeps.

The way I was able to solve this was to reset the CMOS (don't forget to shut the system off, unplug all power sources, and remove the CMOS battery before clearing it) which returns the Video OPROM setting back to its default "Legacy Only". For some reason you cannot tell it to load both. The two settings are "Legacy Only" or "EFI only".

I hope this helps someone else. I was tearing my hair out for an hour over this.

--Matt