silverstone cs381 - Any news?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
I probably will give up and go with a U-NAS 810A too. I understand Silverstone needs to target as many buyers as possible for a product (e.g. long GPU support), but to me there seems to be a lot of wasted space in the final CS381.

I wonder how well a Synology/QNAP style case will sell. Probably not enough units to justify the tooling.

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
The one benefit I see is the drastically better cooling. It supports a 240MM radiator, plus 2 x 120MM fans on the side. Certainly makes throwing higher TDP procs in the box a much more viable solution compared to the U-NAS 810a, which I have. That being said, I do think they missed the mark on the overall look of the chassis. The U-NAS boxes look way better IMHO, much more in-line with a Synology or QNAP.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Disappointing price point for what you get. One would think it'd have more HS bays, or a smaller volume for that price. Eh, at this point I'd stick with a used SM chassis.

Reactions: Fritz

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I kinda want one, have drives, mobo, cpu and everything to make ultimate NAS box. But at $350 I'd like it to be perfect:
First, it looks pretty ugly. Door is ugly too.
Second. If it meant to be used with videocard, and horizontal... Why don't you make it 17" wide like all Hi-Fi equipment? It looks like you cannot install 2-slot videocard in bottom slot (needs 5 PCI-E slots on the back). And if you install 2-slot card in 3rd slot, you cannot install fans on the side. If it was 1.5" wider this would be possible.

I like single MiniSAS-HD cables for each cage though.

Nov 17, 2020
I kinda want one, have drives, mobo, cpu and everything to make ultimate NAS box. But at $350 I'd like it to be perfect:
First, it looks pretty ugly. Door is ugly too.
Second. If it meant to be used with videocard, and horizontal... Why don't you make it 17" wide like all Hi-Fi equipment? It looks like you cannot install 2-slot videocard in bottom slot (needs 5 PCI-E slots on the back). And if you install 2-slot card in 3rd slot, you cannot install fans on the side. If it was 1.5" wider this would be possible.

I like single MiniSAS-HD cables for each cage though.
@TLN what do you mean not being able to instsall a dual-slot GPU? I'm looking to use this case with a mobo that has 8-SATA ports so i can avoid needing an HBA card, could I still use the 4 PCI slots in the case with an mATX to install both a gigabit NIC and a dual-slot GPU like the 3070?

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
@TLN what do you mean not being able to instsall a dual-slot GPU? I'm looking to use this case with a mobo that has 8-SATA ports so i can avoid needing an HBA card, could I still use the 4 PCI slots in the case with an mATX to install both a gigabit NIC and a dual-slot GPU like the 3070?
I was reffering to mATX standart with 4PCIE slots. If you want to install dual slot card in bottom one, you'll need 5 PCIe brackets, while we have only four here. Depending on your motherboard PCIe config and videocard you might be blocking off one or two slots.
With fans on the side, I was refereeing to "deshrouding": lots of people with sff cases remove stock fans from videocard, and use normal 120 or 140 fans instead.