SX6012 port 1 & 2 LR4 transciever issues. help..maybe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
Hey there, thanks for dropping by.

Rather then fill this post with log and config dumps, I'll just start of first with what I have done and what is happening in broad strokes....because I may just be SOL

Here is hat I'm currently working with:
  • EMC Mellanox SRX6012 that is PSID MT_1270111029 i.e. SwitchX-2 based FDR IB; 12 QSFP ports; P1-2 LR4 enabled .
  • ConnectX-3 in server
  • CISCO QSFP-40G-SR-BD (yeah I know not LR4)
  • 30m LC-LC UPC Duplex OM4 Multimode Fibre
  • Brocade ICX6610 (full 40 and 10's active)
  • 2016 Fulcrum Pinot Noir

When I plug into either port 1 or 2 on the mellanox SR6012 I get no link lights (or link). I get no warnings or errors put I can query the optics.

When I plug into any other port I get no link or lights but I get a warning about unsupported transceiver module.

When I plug other transceivers (brocade DAC's) into ports 1 or 2, I get an active link and IP (when in ETH or VPI mode)

I have tried this with the ports on both the swith and my card in VPI, ETH and IB

With my card ports in ETH, when I connect into the back ports on my Brocade ICX6610, I get a link and a ip address from the DHCP server. (

So, I've worked out that:
  • Yes Brocade switches really are transceiver whores.
  • The CISCO SR-BD optics and fibre work
  • Port 1 & 2 on the Mellanox work
  • The Cx-3 card being used works
  • My afternoon was probably spent on better things.
I am aware that SR-BiDi is not LR4 and I was just having a guess that by putting the switch ports into LR4 mode the bump up in volts would help with the transceiver (maybe flawed, but I tend to play around at home with these things with a glass of red wine and sometimes the wine wins.). It did make the unsupported warnings go away on those ports.

Is there anything else that I can try that you can think off or other info I should provide.

Maybe I should just get some SR4 transievers from FS.COM for $40. I, just trying to work with what I have on hand.

Cheers

Mike

Reactions: Eong

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
Yep ordered the sr4 optics. Might try again with a D'Arenberg "The Twenty-Eight Road" (Mourvèdre) which I think will pair nicely with a Ceph deployment I’m working on as well.

The 777 sounds nice with a bit of spice.