Best torque screwdriver

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
What is everybody’s preferred option here for a 12 in/lb or 1.35nm capable torque screwdriver ?
For scalable cpu’s, bonus if it comes with a torx T30 bit.

@Patrick , you do a lot of HPE stuff these days, you know what I am looking for a good one...

Reactions: Rand__

Rehmat

Apr 27, 2019
Bit of a noob here! Why a torque screwdriver? Do the newer hp servers not use cpu latches or are we talking about amd stuff?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Bit of a noob here! Why a torque screwdriver? Do the newer hp servers not use cpu latches or are we talking about amd stuff?
Yep, os in the older E5 world the cpu’s went into the socket (in the case of HP they have a plastic guide attached to the cpu to assist) then lock the latches down, then screw down the heatsink onto the whole lot.
In scalable world the cpu gets assembled as a unit with the heatsink, then you place the whole thing on the board (posts and guides) and torque screw the whole assembly down.

I prefer the new way generally as you can easily leave the cpu and heatsink as a single unit, so swapping cpu means no messing around with heat transfer paste.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks guys, I have other Wiha tools and appreciate the quality, looks like I can go see the different Wiha options locally to see if it’s worth just getting fixed torque or variable.

Will let you know what I pick up next week to replace my broken no name thing and how it goes, have a decent number of CPU’s to install next week :)

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
WHen installing my lga3647 I was unable to get the tq correct and for it to post/boot without a proper tq lb inch wrench.

I went with the Wheeler Fat Wrench (About $40 USD on Amazon) and Tonsiki magentic extension bits 6" length (about $15 on Amazon). These bits did not require an adapter. An adapter makes the bit too fat to fit into some tight areas of CPU coolers. So these were ideal.

to find the fat wrench simply search "Wheeler Fat Wrench" in amazon.

link to the bits:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6EB035

IMG_20190618_082052.jpg IMG_20190618_082059.jpg IMG_20190618_082116.jpg

Last edited: