New fiber run - parts compatability help please

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
I would like to run fiber to connect over 10G the basement Brocade 6450 I have to 2nd floor's workstation (which has connectX3 installed as NIC) by way of another Brocade 6450 switch , what parts should I order from FS.com ?

Plan <basement 6450> -fiber- <second 6450> -fiber- workstation.

i.e. OS2 9/125 LC-LC Singlemode Fiber Optic Cable Duplex 30m(98ft) - Yellow for cable between floors, and then 3-Port Duplex LC Fiber Optic Wall Plate Outlet | FS.COM wall plate outlet , however how do I connect the NIC to such outlet? wouldn't it have the transceiver on one end only? Am I missing something?

I have used the premade cables in the basement (Huawei SFP-10G-AOC1M Compatible 10G SFP+ to SFP+ Active Optical) which have transceivers on both ends, however I do not think it would work with the outlet above.

How should this work?
thank you

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
if you are going from switch to switch through fiber & patch panels, you want to get a matched set of
* transceivers for both ends (in the switches) + fiber for all segments of the run
* transceivers for the switch & the workstation + matching fiber

If short runs, you can do either multi-mode, or single-mode fiber. But you will need to get the matching transceivers, patch cables and plate.

Example if you wanted single-mode fiber and LR optics:
3x for the switches: Brocade 10G-SFPP-LRM 10GBASE-LRM SFP+ Transceiver Module
1x for the Cx3 NIC (assuming it has a SFP+ port instead of a QSFP) Mellanox MFM1T02A-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ Transceiver Module

Whatever length OS2 duplex jumpers with LC connectors and UPC finish (NOT APC!!) that met your length needs from the switches/workstation to the wall plates, and the plates you mentioned above should be fine.

maes

Nov 11, 2018
AFAIK you'd need to go <6540 (SFP+ port)><transceiver>-fiber- (wall plate) -fiber-<transceiver><6540 (SFP+ port)>

If the 2nd 6450 and workstation are close together you can use a direct-attach cable instead of going with fiber.

As for the fiber itself, singlemode is unnecessary and wouldn't work if you have multimode optics (and vice-versa). Good multimode fiber (OM3/OM4/OM5) would work just fine, especially since you don't have much length involved.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
am I misunderstanding how the wall jacks work for fiber? i.e. for cat6, I wire the network jack and screw it to the wall to which normal cat5/6 cable connects to. how different is it for fiber? do I need transceiver to connect to the wall?

would this work? the fiber cable simply goes through the wall plate and on its marry way to get through another wall plate and get a transceiver on 2nd end, correct?
<6540 (SFP+ port)><transceiver>-fiber- (wall plate) -fiber-<transceiver><6540 (SFP+ port)>

My things are set up as follows
ISP -> router (Mikrotik Hex) -> 6450 switch (1x10G to NAS, 1x10G to server , +12x1G to the rest of the devices/house).
I want to take one of two remaining SFP+ ports to connect to second 6450 two floors up and from that switch have 10G run to my workstation and 1G to things like access point.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
The wall plate has a passive coupler for the fiber to pass through. If you scroll down to the bottom image there shows you what they look like not in the plate for different connector types (the blue on the left is the winner for you - duplex LC).

This one of a generic keystone jack with a LC-LC coupler shows it a it better too https://www.amazon.com/Fiber-Optic-Keystone-Coupler-Singlemode/dp/B0062NCJC6

You just take your LC terminated fiber and click it into each side of the coupler, like you would with a Cat5 female / female coupler. That way you can run pre-terminated fiber within the wall and connect it to the backside of the coupler and not have to worry about terminating your own fiber cables.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
Terry, I live in US/IL and have Prime - thank you for the find.

Now with parts taken care of I would need some conduit to run through the walls and some way to pull wire through that conduit , one step at the time..