Connect-X2 and ESXi 6.7?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
My old Connect-X2 cards are starting to show their age. I last used them with 6.0, and life was good. Infiniband worked (once I ripped out the VMware drivers and installed the 1.8 drivers), Ethernet mode worked, everything just did what I thought it would. Well, that was then. This is now. 6.7 is the new hotness, and I'm trying to get back into the VMware game.

I understand that Infiniband support on ESXi is basically non-existent for these old cards. That's fine, I can live with 10GbE... Except I can't for the life of me figure out how to get these jerks to light up. Is there a way to switch the ports on the card between IB and EN mode? Why do some of my cards have one port detected and others have two? Do I have to do something fancy with OpenSM in order to get the (unmanaged) switch to support EN mode?

edit: Wait a minute. I'm used to using IPoIB, aren't I? Can't do Ethernet without an Ethernet switch. Doh.

Last edited:

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
i cant relate to the ConnectX-2 cards but I have the ConnectX-1 with CX4 connectors... and they work in ESXI 6.7u2 .. just installed yesterday.
The only issue I have is that, I have to only use the top port. Cant use both but I have a 6 port CX4 switch so I'm good there. may buy a bigger switch if I need too as I have a bunch more cards and if I add more machines.

now sorry that was off topic. back on topic..

my cards were detected natively and I did nothing. I would see what FW you have on them, maybe that is where this lies?

what connector is on your ConnectX-2 cards? I have one ConnectX-2 card but forget what machine out of my 5 it is in but mine is still once again.. CX4 connector...

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
QSFP connector. The cards are detected natively, but are listed as disconnected. There's no link light on the switch or cards, either. If I pass the card through to a VM, I have no issues. It's just natively that it doesn't work. I even tried installing the 5.0 "1.8.x.x" drivers. No joy.

Reactions: TeleFragger

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
QSFP connector. The cards are detected natively, but are listed as disconnected. There's no link light on the switch or cards, either. If I pass the card through to a VM, I have no issues. It's just natively that it doesn't work. I even tried installing the 5.0 "1.8.x.x" drivers. No joy.
yeah no experience here with them... sorry... that is a strange issue though... hope someone can help!

efschu2

Feb 14, 2019
use a VM as gateway and passthrough the card - not perfect solution but should give you enough speed anyway