(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
For those of you who are using this as an HTPC, how are you dealing with the noise?
An HTPC is my ultimate goal, so here's what I've done so far:

This did a pretty decent job of reducing the noise, but it's still slightly audible, and it's actually more audible with the top on than with it off, so I've also ordered some sound-dampening foam to install inside the case. I haven't had time to install it and see how well it works, though.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
I have a bunch of different fans I am going try try out. I got some of the fans from earlier in the thread. It is less noisy once the fans settle down.
.. but first ,,,
I will likely try a different case first. I got a cheap CSE-721TQ a while back that cost about as much as this DFI computer. I will load it up with 4 x 6TB drives and check temp and noise level. Maybe I can double purpose this box as a local HTPC and mini media server. I have a 10G card I can use.

Yes ... I know I don't need 10G to serve video.
I like the 10G to load video files or move them somewhere else.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've replaced both fans with ones recommended by others in this thread and it's still too loud to suit me. I thought about moving it to another case but the fan noise would remain the same so I'm looking for another purpose. I also put a video card in it and it ran hot because the fan was right up against the top with very little clearance for air flow.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Well like i said and already posted my custom case. You can hear the fan noise is very low .
I use 80mm cpu fan and 120mm exhaust fan.
Including dc to atx with powerbrick.

I guarantee that you can not tame the fan noise by replacing 50mm and 40mm . They do make noise but a little less due need to spin minimally -3500 rpm normaly or higher to 7000rpm ( depends on fan specs). To push/pull cold or ambient air.

The only way to tame the fan noise is transplanting to custom case or other mini itx case that can accommodate minimally 80mm cpu fan and 1200 back/exhaust fans.
Other than that. You are wasting money and fan noise issue still exists.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
How do you mount an 80mm cpu fan? Think I read somewhere that the heat sink was proprietary and no aftermarket available. I'd love to hear otherwise, then I'd transplant it to another case.

brmiller

Jan 1, 2017
For those of you who are using this as an HTPC, how are you dealing with the noise?
My Plan B was HTPC - after hearing the fan question/dilemma on this thread, I’m glad Plan A worked - moved MB to a 2U short depth case with a couple SSD and am building out for a new mail server. Got my 2 x 8GB SODIMMs the other day and all is well. Noise is not a problem with a larger case and 80mm chassis fans.

Reactions: Fritz

canta

Nov 26, 2014
How do you mount an 80mm cpu fan? Think I read somewhere that the heat sink was proprietary and no aftermarket available. I'd love to hear otherwise, then I'd transplant it to another case.
I 3d printed 50mm to 80mm adapter (including the cylinder case) .I posted some picture on my previous post

Planned to replace cpu heatsink and did not find small think narrow heatshink on my spares, I backed off this solution and moved to 3D printing adapter

Reactions: Fritz

canta

Nov 26, 2014
My Plan B was HTPC - after hearing the fan question/dilemma on this thread, I’m glad Plan A worked - moved MB to a 2U short depth case with a couple SSD and am building out for a new mail server. Got my 2 x 8GB SODIMMs the other day and all is well. Noise is not a problem with a larger case and 80mm chassis fans.
if you put this puppy next to your desk, you would hear stoc fan noise louldy :-D,

I can guarantee, get 80mm fan cpu with ~4000-5000rpm full speed, will make cpu fan noise gone just a bit humming during light-medium cpu utlization

glad your solution works for you, I put this puppy next to my home entertainment desk/table, the first requirement is low noise from the case/fans

brmiller

Jan 1, 2017
if you put this puppy next to your desk, you would hear stoc fan noise louldy :-D,
Roger that. Stock CPU fan is in 2U case in isolation box/rack in basement. No noise. :D. But I’m saving all these tips just the same—you never know when equipment gets recycled into different spaces!

Reactions: canta

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
If anyone has an extra one of these they are willing to part with, please let me know.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Roger that. Stock CPU fan is in 2U case in isolation box/rack in basement. No noise. :D. But I’m saving all these tips just the same—you never know when equipment gets recycled into different spaces!
I wished had basement ^^

This puppy is good for lightwork horse..
I tried to run minecraft java server. it shoot to 90% for 10 minutes during loading/initial serving :D.
and lastly to run bedrock edition, this is a lot better, and less consuming cpu power.
so far running containers through podman: nginx, nextcloud, transmission, open-vpn, samba, ddclient for namecheap, and 2 or more mc bedrock servers.
ZoL is serving for local data-storage and containers.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
What material, infill and layer height did you print it at?
if you do no crank up cpu temp to run >50C 24/7 ,you can use regular PLA (cheap).
but thinking would run >50C most of the time. find other filaments. I usually use ABS (cheap as PLA) or some enhanced PLA that already posted ( cost more than regular PLA and ABS)

printing ABS you need to maintain the temperature that you have to cover the 3 printing with DIY solution or the easy one is with some enhanced PLA that do not required maintain the temperature while printing.

PLA or enhanced PLA is easy for printing on my understanding.
good luck!!!

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Has anyone tried to replace the heatsink and not just the fan?
I did, if you search my posts in the thread the HSF mounting pattern is listed. Unfortunately it's not just a simple HSF swap, you'll need to shim any 3rd party heatsink to make die contact with the SoC. I found a fairly nice copper HSF fitting the motherboard mount pattern on Amazon but I haven't had time to adapt it using solder paste and a shim yet. A heat spreader blank may work as well.

Reactions: canta

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
What size screw are people using for the msata drive? Mine didn't come with a screw installed.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
What size screw are people using for the msata drive? Mine didn't come with a screw installed.
Mine didn't either. I found one in an old hard drive that worked. :confused:

I think it was a platter screw.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I did, if you search my posts in the thread the HSF mounting pattern is listed. Unfortunately it's not just a simple HSF swap, you'll need to shim any 3rd party heatsink to make die contact with the SoC. I found a fairly nice copper HSF fitting the motherboard mount pattern on Amazon but I haven't had time to adapt it using solder paste and a shim yet. A heat spreader blank may work as well.
You are more hardcore than me.
Since I was abit lazy. I just print the adapter for the fan, and adjusted the adapter height . Let my 3d printer printing.

Replacing cou heatsink is the best solution actually.

Dave H

Nov 5, 2019
Just tried flashing the DT122-BE with the modded BIOS and it doesn't have the GPU settings under chipset - anyone else hit this?