Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F Cooler

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Just picked up the board from a member, unfortunately I failed to realize I needed a narrow ILM cooler :rolleyes:.
Was looking for something silent, it looks like the Noctua NH-U12DX i4 is the best way to go.

Other than the Noctua any other recommendations instead for silent or near silent?

Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F + E5-2660 V3

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
For as quite as possible that’s probably the best pick. Don’t have any to tell you though.

Reactions: Spartacus

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Other than the Noctua any other recommendations instead for silent or near silent?
If installing in a 4U chassis, consider the Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 .. comes with square and narrow ILM attachments.

Can be found a little cheaper at Newegg

I've never used the Noctua cooler, but it implements a larger 120mm fan so should run slower. The specs on that noctua cooler indicates "Min. rotational speed (PWM, +/-20%) 300 RPM" so you may need to tweak the motherboard fan thresholds ?

Reactions: Spartacus

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
If its silent, I'll probably just run the thing at full speed.
Thanks for the input though, I definitely like the 120/140mm fan option better for the lower rpm noise.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Depending on the case you use the cpu fan doesn’t really factor into the noise, look at the Supermicro cases they don’t have perforated sides etc, nice to have the front to back airflow. You will see same type of design from HP or Dell etc.
The case fans and psu fans tend to be heard more as they are exposed to the front or rear of the chassis while the cpu is hidden inside.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
It'll be in a rack enclosure inside a case, but I still want as cool and quiet as possible.
Eventually I plan to get rid of the enclosure likely, it just takes up too much space.
I'm going more standard style case (Corsair Obsidian 750D) with some hard drive mods so the noise matters a little more.
Here's an example of what I'm aiming for minus the water cooling, LEDs, and I'll be sticking to only a 3 stack instead of 4 high likely as well:

Last edited:

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Same notation as above, I saw that one but definitely like the larger fans, especially for only 5$ more for the other cooler.
I have that one as well, but it doesn't clear my 4U HTPC case top panel, it's too tall.

Works fine in an ATX gaming case on its side, but not in my 4U rackmount silverstone cases.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Over 100TB ?
Your slightly crazy ;)
Pfft 100TB? No, try 224TB :cool: I'm a madman, I'm gonna be using the 8TB shucks to get up to 30 disks for my setup (though I wont need the extra disks for some time, I'm only at 16 disks currently (2 parity) ~ to be fair that totals out to about 112TB ~ just over 100 usable :D). I'm having one of these cheap modular 10 disk DAS made from a guy on another forums to fit the rest of the disks:

I have that one as well, but it doesn't clear my 4U HTPC case top panel, it's too tall.

Works fine in an ATX gaming case on its side, but not in my 4U rackmount silverstone cases.
Good to know, yeah PSU and CPU clearance is one thing I verify before purchasing a cooler, the noctua one is only 158 mm the 750D is 170mm (though I may end up running without the side depending on my needs and the heat retention).

Reactions: Spotswood