Supermicro X9SCM-F Bios Password reset?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
FWIW: i ran into a bios password on a x10 DRU-i+ just now, and reseting the BIOS (via pull battery and short that area near the battery), allowed me to getinto the BIOS again, but there was still some password on F11 (choose a different boot device, during post). Weird.

but for some reason this board's IPMI (which i also had to reset via dos boot + ipmicfg.exe -fd ) did have the BIOS update via IPMI feature/license enabled (i bought this board used). so i decided to try updating the bios via that tool (ipmi web gui), and in there it had 3x checkboxes, one of which was wipe the nvram. so i checked that , uploaded the bios file (which was the exact same version as the bios on the board already, ie board came with the latest bios version already). and after that flash, the password was gone from f11.

maybe that helps someone in the future..

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
I ran across this thread because I just posted an X9SCI-LN4F for the first time and it had a password. Thread had me a little worried at first, until I pulled the power cord and battery, and shorted JBT1 for about 20 sec.

BTW sorry to go off on a tangent, but planning to use old build as cheap, power efficient router - Xeon E3-1220L v2, 32GB PC3L, 2x 24GB Intel SLC mSATA and an 82599 idles w/ around 25w from the AC outlet. Entire build less than $100 - the 1220L v2 is going for $15 on eBay now.

Runs OPNSense good @ gig speed (~850Mbps real) and can iperf3 @ 9.4Gbps across 82599 w/ custom-built FreeBSD Netflix Rack kernel and a few /boot/loader.conf mods: FreeBSD Network Performance Tuning @ Calomel.org Highly recommend (although less = more w/ cheap build, mainly offloads the key)

But yeah. Just short your jumper if you wanna get rid of a pesky BIOS password.

Then upgrade (or overwrite) IPMI from freedos (rufus) using included dupdate.exe and flag: persistence = no (wipe old config). Cuz yeah, the IPMI password was set, too, of course...

IPMI wipe:
Code:
C:\cd dos1~1.21

C:\DOS1~1.21>dupdate -r n -f smt_x9~1.bin