Asustor Multi-Gig NAS Future at Computex 2019

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
The question is when are going to start seeing affordable consumer copper multi-gig networking equipment??

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
All I want is spacious NAS-specific PC case. I'm aware of U-NAS, but want something bigger and easier to work on.
Got my own 10Gb stuff ready.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
All I want is spacious NAS-specific PC case. I'm aware of U-NAS, but want something bigger and easier to work on.
Got my own 10Gb stuff ready.
I got on 10gig networking as well, but at much higher effort/time spent level than I'd like.
Getting a consumer 5-8 port multi-gig switch (ie 1, 2.5 and 5gb) for around $100 would be highly interesting

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I got on 10gig networking as well, but at much higher effort/time spent level than I'd like.
Getting a consumer 5-8 port multi-gig switch (ie 1, 2.5 and 5gb) for around $100 would be highly interesting
It's hard sell honestly.
No need in 10Gbps at home for most users: You'll need fast storage, you have to be dealing with lots of data. At this point you either dealing with media production or just geek. If you're media editor it's easier to sell thunderbolt storage. If there're multiple users and all working in media production and you have fast storage... then existing 10gbe equipment should be within your reach.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
It's hard sell honestly.
No need in 10Gbps at home for most users: You'll need fast storage, you have to be dealing with lots of data. At this point you either dealing with media production or just geek. If you're media editor it's easier to sell thunderbolt storage. If there're multiple users and all working in media production and you have fast storage... then existing 10gbe equipment should be within your reach.
Storage aside, currently multi-gig is mainly aimed at Wifi APs. these are already on 2nd gen capable of bursts higher than 1gig. The real issue is that home 1gig from ISP are ultra-rare for now :(
Also the fact Asus created clearly Soho multi-gig NAS, means that they anticipate Soho demand for multi-gig NAS.