P440ar - Cache Permanently Disabled - Any Fix or Hack to Revive?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Oddworld

Jan 16, 2018
I have a HP dl380 Gen9 with a P440ar raid card. The raid card tossed an error that the cache encountered an error, and is permanently disabled. I've tried flashing newer and older firmware, but the card still maintains it's error.

Apparently I am not alone. HP issued an advisory here HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

Question: is there any possible way to revive the raid card? I purchased second hand, without warranty. The card is as good as dead to me in a failed state, and I have a soldering iron and oscilloscope (if someone could point me in the right direction).

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Per the advisory, try swapping the battery out while on the latest version of firmware. Other than that, enter your serial in and see if its under warranty still. Just because you bought it used, doesn't mean it wasn't still under warranty.

Oddworld

Jan 16, 2018
Per the advisory, try swapping the battery out while on the latest version of firmware. Other than that, enter your serial in and see if its under warranty still. Just because you bought it used, doesn't mean it wasn't still under warranty.

Thanks. Does it suggest swapping the battery, too? I read it a few times but didn't see anything other than a firmware update.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks. Does it suggest swapping the battery, too? I read it a few times but didn't see anything other than a firmware update.
It says that a bad battery can show up as bad cache with that firmware bug. So update firmware and swap battery. But the error should change to indicate cache is disabled for bad battery post firmware update. There should be a way to enable cache without battery, if the cache is indeed fine. Try unplugging the battery for starts after you update.