NVM RAID Card on HP 380 DL G7

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Oct 9, 2016
I wish to add an NVM HD RAID card on my HP DL 380 G7.
Which card (and drive) do you suggest to use ?
Are there any know problem using it ?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Do you want to enable NVME drives or HDD raid?
nvme raid is a software solution, G7 is pcie 2.0 and already limits SATA SSD performance.

Oct 9, 2016
Do you want to enable NVME drives or HDD raid?
nvme raid is a software solution, G7 is pcie 2.0 and already limits SATA SSD performance.
I can understand why: NVM cards are PCIe direct and no controller is in the middle.

However, is there a PCIe 2.x compatible card for the G7 which is proved to be fast and compatible ?

Regards,
Giuseppe Chillemi

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not aware of anything that will do what you want in a tested working way. Pretty old server.

If you just want a SATA/SAS raid controller that will give decent performance just look at one of the HPE array controllers, the cache batter is nearly always dead though on ones that age but given its external you can make one up as a replacement.

Oct 9, 2016
Not aware of anything that will do what you want in a tested working way. Pretty old server.

If you just want a SATA/SAS raid controller that will give decent performance just look at one of the HPE array controllers, the cache batter is nearly always dead though on ones that age but given its external you can make one up as a replacement.
Actually I am using an LSI 9261-8i controller attached to the backplane and a consumer SSD: Corsair MX500 1TB.

My wish was to experiment with an NVM solution to uderstand if this old server could run faster.

Regards,
Giuseppe Chillemi

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I don’t want to be discouraging but I think it’s a lost cause. G7 is just too old to be playing with unless the parts your getting and using are almost free.

Maybe get a PCIe to M.2 riser card and just try a single cheap drive and see, or just buy a larger add in card, lots of ex oracle Intel 1.6tb units around.

Oct 9, 2016
I don’t want to be discouraging but I think it’s a lost cause. G7 is just too old to be playing with unless the parts your getting and using are almost free.

Maybe get a PCIe to M.2 riser card and just try a single cheap drive and see, or just buy a larger add in card, lots of ex oracle Intel 1.6tb units around.
Could you point to one of those ex oracle units ? I really don't know what to seach.