Supermicro motherboard won't power with AX1600i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pluralform

Apr 11, 2019
Does this sound right to everyone? Supermicro is saying the board is really picky and my power supply will simply not power this properly. There are no other 1600watt ATX power supplies from Supermicro, so what gives? They are trying to say you have to use one of their chassis and a redundant power supply... x11dpg-qt

Any other takes on this, or am I seriously up shit creek with this?

Thanks

Cadal

Jul 8, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
I have a AX1600i but no CPUs for my Supermicro board, so i'm using it somewhere else at the moment, but that sounds weird - unfortunately I dont knwo when I'll be able to confirm it works or doesn't and I'll have an older mainboard to you anyway... There are a few threads with people talking about using that PSU or the eVGA one. Workstation build : buildapc

Possums

Sep 8, 2018
I have an AX 1600i currently powering my Supermicro H11DSI-NT. It's an Epyc system rather than Xeon, but it's working perfectly without any issues. The connection on the 24 pin and 2x 8 pins is tight, so make sure it's plugged in all the way. Looking at the manual for your motherboard, it uses standard ATX power connectors so there shouldn't be a need for proprietary power supplies.

Reactions: Cadal

pluralform

Apr 11, 2019
This is resolved. Seems to work just fine. I was stupidly reading the manual flipped for the JF1 header. It is odd that Supermicro tech would say they don't support that psu however. Thanks for the responses. Now on to this cryptic beep code

Reactions: Cadal

Cadal

Jul 8, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for reporting back one less issue for me to worry about too. Now to learn about how Xeon turbo bins actually work... building a unraid gaming thing for fun.

pluralform

Apr 11, 2019
Thanks for reporting back one less issue for me to worry about too. Now to learn about how Xeon turbo bins actually work... building a unraid gaming thing for fun.
Nice. I'll have to familiarize myself with unraid a bit later.

I will say this regarding the OP. The EVGA 1600T2 doesn't have the proper number of spots on the psu for the extra CPU/EPS 4 pin, which is why the Corsair was better for the Supermicro X11DPG-QT. They have proprietary shared PCIe/CPU x(10). That particular board has a 24 pin, x2 8 pin, and a 4 pin that needs power.

My system seems to be posting, but now I'm not able to get the monitor to display, or detect input. Not sure if there is a VGA setting or something I'm supposed to disable. Sounds good I (think). A quick eeep/beep, keyboard lights up, has audible key strokes, and no other error beeps, but the display port to the GPU will not go to the monitor.

Anyone has an idea, I'd be so appreciative.

pluralform

Apr 11, 2019
Can you get to anything on ipmi if you have the X11DPG-QT ?
Technically, yes, but I don't know how yet. I'm still a bit a noob with this motherboard. Don't I need a card of some sort to hook IPMI up?

It seems as though this motherboard no longer has the JPG1 jumper to set VGA off board. Hoping that was the remedy, but trying to see if I have an adapter of some sort for VGA>DP

Last edited:

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
To get to the IPMI you just need to connected it up to the network and see what IP your DHCP server assigned it. Then go to that IP and login with ADMIN / ADMIN and poke around.
You can get the mac address from a little label on the motherboard, or probably faster just remove all power from the server then watch the DHCP server logs as you apply power to the PSU and the IPMI and BMC do their early boot and the IPMI gets online (30-45 seconds isn't uncommon for it to do a cold boot).
You can also use the supermicro java app to scan for IPMI devices on your network, or just run an nmap across your local network and point your web browser at IPs that you don't already know what they are until you find it.

Page 10 of the manual says the MAC address labels are in the top left of the motherboard - near PCI slot farthest away from CPUs.

If you remove any PCIe GPUs from the system, it will default to the IPMI providing all the graphics support - that should let you use the IPMI or a normal KB & mouse to access the bios directly and adjust things accordingly and run your testing before adding the GPUs back in.

pluralform

Apr 11, 2019
To get to the IPMI you just need to connected it up to the network and see what IP your DHCP server assigned it. Then go to that IP and login with ADMIN / ADMIN and poke around.
Oh Snaps! That is super cool. I thought I had to buy a little chip or something, but I'm in!!! My CPUs and Memory are all showing up.

Just gotta poke around. Thank you!