Cisco ONS 15800 (DWDM)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I was wondering if someone could explain DWDM to me? As I understand it is that it uses different light wavelengths to get long distance, like remote data centers. I take it that you would need an appliance on each end?

I was wondering if it could be used to connect two FC or iSCSi switches together that are beyond the distance that single mode can handle?

maze

Apr 27, 2013
You use it to get more capacity from a single dark fiber. Not to get greather distance though. Then you would nede active gear inbetween..

You Can get solution from a provider or Roll your own gear - depending on the Price for the Dark fiber vs. The number of waves (therefrom Price of gear) you Can look at both solutions to find the one thats most suitable for you..

You do indeed ned active gear on each end.

istamov

Jul 31, 2015
DWDM is a method of transporting multiple "links" over single fiber cable using different wavelengths. Basically you use specific SFP modules, each of which is working on a different wavelength (lambda), then insert all of these signals in a single (simplex or duplex) fiber link using a device called "multiplexer".
Then on the remote side you reverse everything, here is a representation of this setup (taken from Single Fiber Applications):

For more information, you can check the following page - DWDM Technology And DWDM Network Overview | FS Germany

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I guess the question is how do I connect two sites with the following scenario?

Office contains one rack of hardware that will need to connect to the data center for both networking and storage needs. The office and data center are in the same complex but in different buildings and beyond the limit of single mode fiber. What would be my best solution for this set-up? Feel free to ask questions is you need more detail.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Office contains one rack of hardware that will need to connect to the data center for both networking and storage needs. The office and data center are in the same complex but in different buildings and beyond the limit of single mode fiber. What would be my best solution for this set-up? Feel free to ask questions is you need more detail.
Do you have Single mode dark fiber between the 2 locations ? If you do then have you looked at the different type of SFP that your device support ?? In Cisco world for example they have a ZR optics that can go all the way to 80KM... If the distance between the 2 location is greater, then you will need an active gear with optical amplifier (EDFA is most commonly used). This setup will increase your distance to beyond 100KM, however the further the distance you will also need a pre-amp and possibly even optical dispersion compensation module.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
The building was built in the late 1800’s so it dose not have fiber interconnecting the buildings. I know that Spectrum has piped in a connection for office type internet etc.. They might have fiber going between buildings, I’d have to ask and explain my situation.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
you can also reach out to your prefered carrier and get a point to point circuit from location A to location B at whatever bandwidth that you need.
I have worked with such carrier from 100Mbps EPL circuit all the way to 100Gbps circuits. The price per meg drop significantly as the bandwidth goes up, ie 1Gb circuit $2500, 10Gb circuit $7K & 100Gb circuit $ 25K (not actual pricing just for point of reference)

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
What if I were in to locations? I take it I would have to deal with my service provider and do DWDM? As I would need 8x 10GB links(4 for Ethernet and 4 for storage connectivity).

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Some carrier would lease you dark fiber from site A to site B, and then you can deploy your dwdm gear of choice to provide the connectivity that you need. If the distance between 2 site is less than 80KM then you might be able to go cheap and use passive dwdm filters to provide you with as much 96 channels capable of 10Gb per channel. Checkout fiber store, those guys sells dwdm gear for super cheap compared to the known brand.
You mentioned storage connectivity, is this fiber channel or ethernet based like iscsi ? If you have native fiber channel requirement you might be stuck with expensive active equipment as far as remember... You can also use some gateway to bridge them to FCOE or something to use Ethernet based interconnect.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I usually like Cisco gear but the ONS from my experience is not very good.
I would normally do for metro connections Adva and for metro / longer distance Ciena.

Huawei and ZTE also have cheaper options. But... you all can imagine the ‘but’ in this.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I usually like Cisco gear but the ONS from my experience is not very good.
I would normally do for metro connections Adva and for metro / longer distance Ciena.

Huawei and ZTE also have cheaper options. But... you all can imagine the ‘but’ in this.

seconding ciena over cisco for anything metro/long

azev

Jan 18, 2013
another vote for Ciena for active dwdm gear with roadm, however they are pricey !!!!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Ciena 6500
Adva FSP3000

That tells you almost nothing though, these guys have 1027 different cards and options.

So you say you only need 4 x 10g and 4 x 8g FC ?
No encryption ? Just single chassis at each end ? No failover of connections or anything like that ?

I am just trying to imagine what older or cheaper options would make sense, if you told me you needed a terrabit of bandwidth all encrypted in a double redundant ring using redundant systems I could probably tell you from top of my head a BOM for either but I think you not looking for a million dollar system right ?

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
1. Yes 4x 10GB for connecting two Ethernet switches together one switch on each end.
2. Yes 4x 8GB Native FC (can use FCOE if it would be cheaper) one switch on each end.
3. Didn't think about encryption, I suppose I would need that. So a yes for encryption.
4. Failover: The 4 links would be the failover points.
5. Correct, not looking for a million dollar system, basically 80GB encrypted.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
New or used ?
If used I wound say skip the encryption, there should be (although I haven’t checked) a lot of 10G cards used available that are still good but they won’t support encryption generally.

I have no idea how hard these systems are to setup but certainly would be some used gear around.

I also want to point out that certified solutions for FC are few, FCoE could be the better option here.

Brocade or some other FC ? (If Brocade FOS v7 or v8 even makes a difference if your looking for s certified solution)

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I am definitely looking at used equipment. Unencrypted should be fine as the data isn’t sensitive or anything like that, mostly just management. Any other used equipment sites I could look at? Currently looking on eBay.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Let me take a look I have never looks for anything like this used. eBay I am sure it turns up but this is not that common equipment.
Wonder if anybody will dump some Huawei gear on the market very soon, maybe an option also.

oddball

May 18, 2018
I know someone who dismantled a WISP an has some Ciena DWDM gear he'd let go. Issue is shipping, some of these are chassis systems. He wants them gone, so anything reasonable and he'll take it, but like I said shipping.

If you're in Arizona then you're in luck..

Also, are you thinking of running FC over a long-haul network? I'd reconsider. The latency is going to be killer on something like that. I can't imagine trying to hit a drive over 80Km away!