Which Hypervisor...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Azhrarn

Dec 8, 2018
Hi,

A few years ago I got this workstation for peanuts and swapped a lot out of it for better newer hardware and used it as a homelab.

At this point in time the config is the following.

HP Z620 with E5-2680v2
128GB RAM PC3-12800
2 * Intel DC S4500 1.92TB
3 * Samsung EVO 840 500GB (no longer used lately)
GTX 1060 6GB
All with VMWare ESXi

Now the problem is that lately I started playing around with Machine Learning...
Most of the time, it was running Cisco Collaboration stuff on VMWare ESXi.
But lately I have started to hate the 8vCPU limit, because playing around with machine Learning...
So went to Proxmox. But had troubles passsing through GPU for Machine Learning purposes.
So went to Linux KVM which kinda worked, but I miss VMWare...
Lately I have been playing with Windows 10 Professional (It had an OEM Win7 Pro serial attached, so why not try that). Hyper-V seems to have evolved a lot, but I can't run Cisco Collaboration stuff on it...

The question is now. What should I do for the future.
I was thinking about dual booting. --> With ESXi and the other with someother to define Hypervisor...
Or is there a cheap way to remove ESXi restriction?
Or is there even a better way.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
cheap is relative - vmug is $200/year with 10% off every now and then

TRACKER

Jan 14, 2019
Can you please clarify what is this vCPU limitation for ESXi?

I see...you use free version of ESXi... :) well, i have same Z620 but with v1 xeons (older boot block) and use "licensed" ESXi

Azhrarn

Dec 8, 2018
I didn't know about resetting eval. That is really good! Obvious know I think about it.
I am definetely gonna try this!

Marsh

May 12, 2013
3 line script to reset the eval lic every month
I stopped using ESXi now.
When I was using ESXi for homelab, if you do not join the esxi host to vcenter.
IIRC , Within the eval period, everytime, I rebooted the esxi host, it would reset back to 60days eval .