Dell 6TDVN SAS Expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Just got my power cables today and am hoping to adapt them and then convert one of my FreeNAS boxes to a FreeDAS (hehe) in the next week or so. Has anyone hooked up the blinkenlichtmachinen panel to see what it does?

@Dave Corder what 20mm fans are you trying?

View attachment 11074
I assume that panel is drive status and activity lights. The last one I ordered came with one, but I didn't test it out yet. Maybe I should just out of curiosity.

I'm going with these fans: NEW SUNON 20 x 20 x 10MM COOLING FAN GM0501PFB3-8 CK0341 8J290 5V DC 0.2W | eBay and I'll find some screws at the hardware store to screw in between the heatsink fins (hopefully). I'll probably put on some fresh thermal paste while I'm at it.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
Finally got a chance to bench-test all my expanders with a freshly-flashed 9201-16e. Only one dead one (probably fried from my initial 12v experimentation), but the others all seem to be OK. I'm ordering some 20mm fans right now and I should get a chance to install these expanders in place of my old HP expanders in my DAS boxes sometime over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread of mine. Especially to Tiberizzle, who noticed that one of the pins is 5V. I'm glad we figured how to use these cheap expanders. Hopefully others in the future will find this thread useful.

If anyone is interested, I have enough parts left over to make two more power cables for these. Let me know if you're interested and they can be yours for the cost of shipping.
offtopic question:
i am curious to your DAS cases. can you post some pictures of them?

and how to fasten those small fans onto heatsink? i have done it with screw for wood. about in 2 hours i will post some pictures of it

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I still think that providing both 5V and 12V to the board is kind of redundant. I would have tried to power up the expander with only 5V and then with only 12V from a lab power supply to measure and compare the drawn currents in both cases.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Can anyone recommend a cheap source for a molex plug that'll fit the power input on these without needing to crimp connectors myself? I picked one up last week and I need to power it up and verify that it works.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Can anyone recommend a cheap source for a molex plug that'll fit the power input on these without needing to crimp connectors myself? I picked one up last week and I need to power it up and verify that it works.
If you want to pay shipping, PM me and I can send you one.

Reactions: arglebargle

NOTORIOUS VR

Nov 24, 2015
Sorry to bother, but can someone who has their card working verify the pin orientation on for the 4 min header?

Attached is a standard pin layout for 12 ATX connection, and I know it doesn't apply here (need 5V) but as long as someone can confirm the actual pin positions/numbers on either the card or wire side that would be great.

I'd rather not melt anything lol

Attachments

gigogig

Oct 29, 2018
Sorry to bother, but can someone who has their card working verify the pin orientation on for the 4 min header?

Attached is a standard pin layout for 12 ATX connection, and I know it doesn't apply here (need 5V) but as long as someone can confirm the actual pin positions/numbers on either the card or wire side that would be great.

I'd rather not melt anything lol
1 - GND
2 - GND
3 - 12V
4 - 5V

It's on the silk screen
One 12v yellow becomes 5v red

Amazon Photos

Last edited:
Reactions: ArthurA and jkidd

YEAHHWAY

Jan 7, 2021
I have the SAS3 versions of these controllers out of a Dell SC180. That shelf came paired with an SCv2080.

Pics incoming.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
I have a vague recollection that, once upon a time, I found someone who had created a 3D printed part for a standard ATX case's I/O window, so that this expander could sit neatly inside the case with only the connectors exposed. But my Google-fu is turning up nothing. Anyone else recall seeing something like that?

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
I have a vague recollection that, once upon a time, I found someone who had created a 3D printed part for a standard ATX case's I/O window, so that this expander could sit neatly inside the case with only the connectors exposed. But my Google-fu is turning up nothing. Anyone else recall seeing something like that?
I couldn't find anything, so I'm working on my own. I need to do a test fit in one of my cases, but I think I've got a good model. (If anyone is thinking about this, note that the board extends past the ATX MB footprint on the left (when looking at a case's IO panel from the outside), so it won't work in a case that has its PSU squeezed right next to the MB.) I'll post the model and details when I've finalized it (hopefully in the next week or two).