Mellanox ConnectX-2 Still Good?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rehmat

Apr 27, 2019
Hi there. I have recently started building a homelab based on a custom NAS and a few R710's. I am looking to upgrade to 10G networking (point to point, NAS to workstation R710) and am wondering if the ConnectX-2 cards (mnpa19-XTR) are still any good? I've heard that they are plug and play in windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04LTS works fine with them. Just wondering if its worth spending the extra ££ and upgrading them to ConnectX-3 cards?

I also have some Qlogic QLE2562 FC cards with Avago 8G SFP+ modules. I got these for free, is it possible to do IPoFC with these. I cant find much about them online.

Thanks

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
It's been awhile since I had the connectx-2's, but I think the main upgrade is that the 3's added RDMA (RoCE).

At this point if you're buying cards, I would spend a few extra bucks and get the 3's. They're not that much money. And honestly if you're just doing point to point, I would go for the 40 Gb connectx-3's if the cable length between the machines is reasonable.

Oh and I think the 2's are no longer supported with updated drivers. The 3's are still supported with newest drivers.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I'm running a pair. Linux only, the upstream drivers work fine, I haven't messed with the Mellanox drivers, but I understand they don't support the CX2s these days. I think if I were buying now, I'd do the CX3, just to have more options with RDMA and such, but I already own the CX2s and they work great. I also haven't had a need for RDMA, so I just keep with what I'm doing.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mellanox cards have been problematic for me. These days I use Chelsio and Solarstorm.

Rehmat

Apr 27, 2019
It's been awhile since I had the connectx-2's, but I think the main upgrade is that the 3's added RDMA (RoCE).

At this point if you're buying cards, I would spend a few extra bucks and get the 3's. They're not that much money. And honestly if you're just doing point to point, I would go for the 40 Gb connectx-3's if the cable length between the machines is reasonable.

Oh and I think the 2's are no longer supported with updated drivers. The 3's are still supported with newest drivers.
Could you give me a model number for the 40Gb ConnectX-3 cards please. I will be connecting my NAS server (L ubuntu 16.04.2LTS) to my R710 workstation. TBH i'm still undecided between Ubuntu 19.x.x and Windows 10 Pro.

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016

Attachments

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I run Mellanox Connect X2 on both Windows 10 and FreeBSD. No issues, full speed! If you update the firmware you can get RDMA on this one too, and it is also very power efficient, I think it uses something around 5w max.

But the prices has increased A LOT the last year. So yeah I would just get the 40GbE cards

freetree

Aug 26, 2019
Hi for all expert here,

I would like to ask you for help or your point of view.
I am brand new and do not have many experiences with this HW.

What I have is Dell Force10 Z9000 (looking for someone can give me last firmware for this HW) and network pc card MHQH29B-XRS. It is connected by metal 40Gbe cable. The win installs automatically IPOIB6Xx.sys Mellanox ConnectX-2 IPOIB driver.
By the connection, there is no traffic on Rx channel. The LED on the card or on the switch with no change.

Someone help?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
You need to change to Ethernet. STH has guides for Windows and Linux if you search.

freetree

Aug 26, 2019
ok. thank you it help a bit... but now PC is sending packets and no response... + only 10Gbe on 40Gbe port and cable...

upload_2019-8-26_16-34-16.png