Exploring the Best ZFS ZIL SLOG SSD with Intel Optane and NAND

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
The official Intel DC P4800X v. Intel Optane 900p comment we got from Intel is:

As an enterprise part, the Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X offers multiple data protection features that the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P does not, including DIF data integrity checking, circuit checks on the power loss system and ECRC. The DC P4800X also offers a higher MTBF/AFR rating.
Has Intel explained why the specs for the Optane 900p originally showed support for "enhanced" power loss protection but now do not?

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
So the moral of the story here seems to be that Optane 900P is an amazing ZIL SLOG device. But isnt lack of power loss protection really a deal breaker for that use?

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
So the moral of the story here seems to be that Optane 900P is an amazing ZIL SLOG device. But isnt lack of power loss protection really a deal breaker for that use?
If it doesn't have DRAM buffers why does it need power loss protection?

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Hey all. My comment on this post is coming a little late, but I've been considering replacing my dual mirrored 100GB S3700 SATA SLOG devices for some time, and came across this article.

Those 32GB Optane modules seem like one hell of a bang for the buck for a SLOG. Write endurance isnt great, but I just looked at the SMART values on my S3700's and they only have ~45TB of writes over 5 years of use, so it will be fine.

My questions are as follows:
1.) Is the fact that they are not capacitor backed a risk, or do they not have DRAM cache, so there is nothing to protect?

2.) This 6 month older article also on STH deemed them not very good. What changed between article 1 and article 2?

3.) If I use them behind a PCIe multiplexer to put two of them into a single 8x port on a system that does not have bifurcation support, seeing tyhast latency is HUGELY important to a SLOG device, will the multiplexer add enough latency to sabotage their performance?

Much obliged,
Matt

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@mattlach I am using the PCIe multiplexer card to connect to multiple nvme drives and optane 900p as zil in my setup and dont really see any degradation in performance compared to when I connect the optane drive directly to the pci slot. However I am not sure about the 32GB optane drives, if I remembered correctly most review says that particular drive isn't all that good. I'd say its better to save abit and get the 900p and use that for zil for major speed improvement.