Looking for a new toy

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jenfil82

May 9, 2019
Hello everyone,

After reading a lot of literature, I decided to further learn by practicing. I am looking for a cheap 24p or more switch (under $500) that would provide expansion capabilities once I become familiar with it (i.e. stacking and enough ports).

It would be my first time using a CLI, so if the switch has a web UI to help me when I broke everything, it's a big plus :)

I think that for the first 1 or 2 years I would need 4 sfp+ ports at least as I plan to connect a NAS, a desktop and probably an extra server in the near future.

Here is what I found so far:

**HPE 2930F:** 4sfp+ with a great UI

**ICX6610**: lots of ports, can't be better on that side. Only CLI, it seems though. Also love the fact that I can add any kind of RJ45 transceiver if I would like to. Would help me decrease the cost of moving my Qnap to SFP+ as compatible NICs are $200+ and simply use the existing 10gb RJ45 port (purchase a Mikrotik $60 transceiver VS a $200 compatible Mellanox card)

**HPE 1950**: 2sfp+ and 2 10gbase-t. Basic web UI as a plus. Great option for sure!

**Cisco Nexus 3064-T**: great stuff, 48 ports in 10gbase-t, 4 qsfp. Maybe on the pricier side

**Arista DCS 7050T**: another beast, but seems complicated for a newbie maybe?

**Arista DCS-7120T or 7140T**: same as above, maybe too complex to start?

​

What do you guys think?

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
ICX6610 is not only CLI. It has a (crappy) web gui. I got 24p (16x 10gig ports and 24 1gig poe) for $170 delivered and thanks to STH resident Brocade Guru (fohdeesha) mine is running fully updated and licensed. This one is really no brainer.

Last edited:
Reactions: fohdeesha

Jenfil82

May 9, 2019
Thank you sir, didn't know there was a UI. When you say crappy, it would still allow me to get my network running with the basics in case I m stuck, right?

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Thank you sir, didn't know there was a UI. When you say crappy, it would still allow me to get my network running with the basics in case I m stuck, right?
Also keep in mind that if you ever worked with Cisco IOS CLI, Brocade's Fastiron CLI is very similar.

yes, Web management is fairly functional, just not polished or very intuitive.
This should give you an idea:

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
Yes, find the Brocade thread. If the 80+ pages don't scare you, you'll buy a 6610. :) That's my suggestion if two 40 Gb ports are enough for you.

If you need more than 4 40Gb, then arista 7050 is probably your next step up. CLI only.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I picked up an Aruba S2500. 4 SFP+, 48 1G, POE. About $100. The web UI is decent, and you can do most things you might want to do in it. I did need the CLI to set jumbo frames, though I ended up not using them as it doesn't make a difference in my setup and it causes other problems with mixed MTU you would expect. I picked it up mostly for POE cameras, which work great, it also powers my Ubiquiti AP.

I have no idea on compatibility with 10GBase-T transceivers though. I find all that way overpriced so I don't own anything compatible with it. I'm a cheap bastard that runs ConnectX-2 cards though, so my opinion on that might be skewed. :)

Jenfil82

May 9, 2019
Thanks , I did in fact already read the 90 pages :) That's why the icx6610 made my list

Jenfil82

May 9, 2019
I also noticed the Aruba 2500, problem is the rj45 compatibility indeed, other than that they're dirt cheap.

You see my qnap nas only shows very expensive sfp+ NICs (like $200+ on junkbay), and that would be an expense I m not willing to make. I ve asked around for other cheaper NIC to no avail unfortunately

Jenfil82

May 9, 2019
Couple of questions about the Arista

- I see there's a 48vdc version, how do you go about feeding it power?
- Am I right seeing it as too complex for me to start with, being a total CLI newbie?

The last thing I want is my wife being even more angry at me because I can't figure out how to "plug a cable and get internet"

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
If you don't know how to get 48VDC, it's not for you. ;-) Some datacenters have DC supplied to the rack to improve efficiency.

I definitely do not recommend an arista as your first big boy switch. Start with the aruba 2500 if you only need 4 10Gb ports. Or get the brocade 6610 if you need more than that.

But be warned the aruba is much more picky about what modules it supports. The brocade pretty much doesn't care as far as I can tell.

oddball

May 18, 2018
Yeah, don't go DC at home especially with the question you're asking (no offense). If someone is running DC at home I'd be really impressed.

Arista is fine, you can probably get up and running somewhat quickly. Reset to a default config, put everything on a default vlan, then set up a static route to your DIA.

Another alternative is to get a Juniper 2300-C. It's totally fanless and has two 10Gbe uplinks. (EX2300-c Fanless Switch - Juniper Networks) There's a decent web UI that will get you up and running. A bonus on the Juniper is you have a TON of routing capabilities built in. From there pick up a SRX300 and you have a complete routing, switching and firewalling lab.

Jenfil82

May 9, 2019
If you don't know how to get 48VDC, it's not for you. ;-) Some datacenters have DC supplied to the rack to improve efficiency.

I definitely do not recommend an arista as your first big boy switch. Start with the aruba 2500 if you only need 4 10Gb ports. Or get the brocade 6610 if you need more than that.

But be warned the aruba is much more picky about what modules it supports. The brocade pretty much doesn't care as far as I can tell.
Awesome information, thanks a ton! Agreed on the Aruba, although cheap, not enough future proof for me.

Yeah, don't go DC at home especially with the question you're asking (no offense). If someone is running DC at home I'd be really impressed.

Arista is fine, you can probably get up and running somewhat quickly. Reset to a default config, put everything on a default vlan, then set up a static route to your DIA.

Another alternative is to get a Juniper 2300-C. It's totally fanless and has two 10Gbe uplinks. (EX2300-c Fanless Switch - Juniper Networks) There's a decent web UI that will get you up and running. A bonus on the Juniper is you have a TON of routing capabilities built in. From there pick up a SRX300 and you have a complete routing, switching and firewalling lab.
No offense taken, all valid points.
Problem is with the ex2300-c is the number of ports, I need at least 24 and even thinking getting 48 so I don't need to change for another 3 or 4 years.

Thanks to both of you, a lot of great info so far!