(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I think I had to set that jumper properly too, and mine was brand new in box. There's also a power jumper next to the big block that sets mSATA and mPCIe power levels, it's worth verifying that it's set properly too.
Yup, I did check that one.

Got another problem now. I have 16GB installed (2x8GB), the BIOS sees 16GB but Linux sees 14.2Gb and Windows and Memtest86 sees a similar amount. Any idea what might be causing this?

jackfrost

Apr 18, 2019
Yup, I did check that one.

Got another problem now. I have 16GB installed (2x8GB), the BIOS sees 16GB but Linux sees 14.2Gb and Windows and Memtest86 sees a similar amount. Any idea what might be causing this?
It's reserved ram (probably for the GPU), normally you can change the value somewhere in the BIOS.

Haven't checked to see if you can change the value on these but regardless you won't be able to set it at 0.

Checking the manual, looks like you can set it to only use 32mb of reserved ram:

reserved ram.PNG

Reactions: rj1

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Speaking of BIOS settings, if you're using DDR3L the BIOS won't automatically switch down to 1.35V, you need to manually lower the voltage. DDR3L is generally dual mode so there's no harm but there's also no need to overvolt by ~10% either.

jackfrost

Apr 18, 2019
Speaking of BIOS settings, if you're using DDR3L the BIOS won't automatically switch down to 1.35V, you need to manually lower the voltage. DDR3L is generally dual mode so there's no harm but there's also no need to overvolt by ~10% either.
Have you checked to see if the setting actually takes effect?

When I set 1.35v in the bios, my ram still shows that it's running at 1.5v:

Code:
        Minimum Voltage: 1.35 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.5 V

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ah, thank you sir. Frame buffer was set to 256M. I set it to 32M and got 15.6MB. At 512M I got 15.1MB. Numbers don't jive so there must be other system devices using memory.

Thanks arglebargle, I set DIMM voltage to 1.35v.

New chassis fan is arriving today. CPU fan will be here Thursday. Hopefully I won't have to build a sound proof enclosure to house this beast.

jackfrost

Apr 18, 2019
Ah, thank you sir. Frame buffer was set to 256M. I set it to 32M and got 15.6MB. At 512M I got 15.1MB. Numbers don't jive so there must be other system devices using memory.

New chassis fan is arriving today. CPU fan will be here Thursday. Hopefully I won't have to build a sound proof enclosure to house this beast.
Yes, other devices will use some memory, but you can't do anything about that.

I've actually found that you can make the box a lot quieter using the built-in fans if you enable the automatic fan tuning and set the CPU target as 60c.

I'm still planning on replacing the fans, haven't gotten around to it yet though.

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018

You're probably just encountering GiB vs GB. 15.6GiB is 16GB.

Run `free` followed by `free -h` and you'll see it.

Code:
root@rufus:/media/ext4# free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        8066228     5358048      812704     1703728     1895476      771960
Swap:             0           0           0
root@rufus:/media/ext4# free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7.7G        5.1G        794M        1.6G        1.8G        754M
Swap:            0B          0B          0B

I've actually found that you can make the box a lot quieter using the built-in fans if you enable the automatic fan tuning and set the CPU target as 60c.

I'm still planning on replacing the fans, haven't gotten around to it yet though.
I'm surprised this isn't the first thing everyone did when they got theirs, there's absolutely no need to run the fans at full speed if you have any form of APM and frequency scaling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

It's amazing how noisy the chassis fan is. It will be interesting to see how much quieter the new fan is.

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
It's amazing how noisy the chassis fan is. It will be interesting to see how much quieter the new fan is.
If you ordered the V1 Sunon it's ~10dB less loud, which works out to approximately half the audible volume. It's not silent by any stretch but it's a lot less annoying.

At some point I think I'm going to fab some intake fan brackets and see about getting a pair of 50x50 or 60x60 fans mounted on the intake and just put a little noctua on the vent side. I'm getting paid for a huge chunk of work right after I move later this month and I'm thinking of investing a little of that in a good 3d printer.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yep, just finished installing it and it is indeed much quieter, But still not quiet enough to use as an HTPC. Idle temps are running about 2c higher than the stock fan.

rj1

Apr 27, 2019

Which CPU fan did you get?

I'm still debating if I will replace it. Replacing the chassis fan made a big difference. It is still loud though.

brmiller

Jan 1, 2017
I really want to get one of these and put it into a 1u chassis but I/O shield won't fit
The problem I had was the audio riser stuck up too high for any of my on-hand 1U cases. The cpu fan didn’t have much room to intake either, but the audio tower made it a no-go. I have mine in a 2U case now and don’t have any of the loud fan issues you guys are talking about.

Where are you guys getting cheap DDr3[L] SODIMMs?

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Has anyone tried upgrading the fan to a noctua?

Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM, 4-Pin Premium Quiet Fan (40mm) - Newegg.com

Looking at the airflow, looks comparable but provides much lower db values. Not sure about the pin connector adapter but something I wanted to check out.

Edit - ah nvm, after converting cubic m/hr to CFM > this is about 5.5 CFM compared to the sunon.
Yeah, I picked the Sunon fans to balance durability, cost, airflow and audible volume. They're the best combination of those attributes that I could find to cover what I think most people are going to need/want: enough cooling that the machine won't overheat, significantly quieter than stock and affordable enough that they don't cost $20/fan.

You can definitely bias those values in any other direction but until someone makes a super quiet high CFM fan that costs <$20 you don't get the same functionality and cooling at that attractive $5-10 price point.

The best way to improve cooling and still keep the noise down is to go to a larger diameter fan. Sometime in the next couple of months I should have a 3d printer in hand and I'll be able to fabricate adapters and see about jamming bigger fans into the case but I just don't have the time (or a printer) yet.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Did you install it? What did you think?
It's quieter than the original but still a bit loud. I've decided that the only way I'm going to get quiet is to transplant it into another case. Temps went up about 3c at idle with both fans replaced.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
On my understanding, No way to lower the fan noise that enough for living room htpc/server without going to 80mm or bigger fan.

I use the motherboard only and transplanted the motherboard into my 3d printing case with usb fttdi-lcdproc :-D. this seem working well,
I use 80mm for cpu fan, and 120mm for exhaust fan.
the noise is very loud when full blast or during booting up, you can listen how loud the fan and gradually going low noise:

Reactions: wsuff