Inventec B800G2/10G A9Drpf-10G Dual Lga2011 Eatx Zt System Board B800GG0

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
ZT Systems Z1100SH use to use these in a 1U setup with some chenbro chassis.
These boards never made retail so documentation, firmware, ect is pretty sketchy.

Intel C602 chipset
IPMI via AST2300
Max ram is 256GB (16x16GB LR Dimms)
2x6GB SATA
4x3GB SATA
1x mini-SAS (6GB/s from SCU)
1x10GB port (Intel 82599ES)

I see one setup with an E5-2630L v1 out there, so no idea on the ivy compatibility.

May 4, 2015
I picked one up... and killed it. IPMI access has no user reset in the bios, resetting the bios did not good, same went for resetting the BMC firmware. Installing 2012-2016 as the OS was a no go as the ACPI calls caused it crash. 2008r2 did install. I was able to then get access teh firmware and pull it, and tried to rewrite it to force a BMC reset... and that was all she wrote after that. Another thing to consider is that the socket is 2011 narrow not square so getting after market heatsinks is near impossible. Supermicros 4u heatsink comes with a change able plate to allow it to fit the narrow setup. I ended up picking up another s2600 intel board and just called it done.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Has anyone had success with these recently? They're really, really well priced and I'm thinking about picking one up to run Proxmox.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I still cannot figure out how to reset the BMC and the IPMI password. A dos boot usb cannot even get it to boot. It does work with Esxi

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
I still cannot figure out how to reset the BMC and the IPMI password. A dos boot usb cannot even get it to boot. It does work with Esxi
Did anyone ever confirm compatibility with e5 v2 CPUs?

Also, sorry for all of the questions here, do you know if these will function with just CPU 0?

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
so no one has been able to install windows on this thing at all? it's very good price for a 2P but seems like a very sketchy board...

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
This is a long shot here but the manual for the B800 G3 lists a couple of username/password combos that you can try if you haven't already:

http://ebg.inventec.com/productData/N800G3/download/N800G3,SystemManual,EN.pdf

Default User Name Password Privilege Status
null null USER Enable
admin admin ADMINISTRATOR Enable
taobao(for ali) 9ijn0okm ADMINISTRATOR Enable
ADMIN(for common) ADMIN ADMINISTRATOR Enable

I'd also try permutations of admin and password "inventec" -- that seems to be what they use on some of their switches.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
i never heard of this crap where there is a MB that came locked with passwd in the bios by the manufacturer? guess this is why this thing is so cheap?

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
i never heard of this crap where there is a MB that came locked with passwd in the bios by the manufacturer? guess this is why this thing is so cheap?
These are retired custom servers for a cloud service provider; I think these were for one of the Amazon companies.

It's not the BIOS that's assigned a username/pass, it's the BMC and IPMI.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
These are retired custom servers for a cloud service provider; I think these were for one of the Amazon companies.

It's not the BIOS that's assigned a username/pass, it's the BMC and IPMI.
so only if you try to use bmc or ipmi would you need the pass? can change all the other options without passwd? i might test one by buyin one...

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
so only if you try to use bmc or ipmi would you need the pass? can change all the other options without passwd? i might test one by buyin one...
That's my understanding. I haven't seen anyone mention IPMI issues on other forums either, so there's an outside chance that it works totally fine on the machine you get.

Also, if you're thinking about going for it there are other options:

1U Chenbro RM13704 - Foxconn T2491601 Motherboard
Quanta QSSC-2ML - Foxconn Reworked DA0S2MMB8B0 Motherboard
Chenbro Zt System 1U 8-Bay SFF Rackmount Cto Barebone Server | eBay

I'm not sure what the deal is with the natex systems, both motherboards look almost identical to the Inventec boards but claim to be Foxconn.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
would have been much better if they have switched the position of the x16 and x8 pcie slot... not sure why they would put the x16 slot up on top which would prevent the use of a full length video card...

daviddoran

May 7, 2016
Sorry to necro such an old thread, but I ended up getting one of these boards, and the IPMI password was not any defaults. However, I was able to exploit a vulnerability with IPMI tool, and created a backdoor admin account, and was able to then get into the web interface and reset the admin password. I tried brute forcing it with kali linux but it was going to take over 1300 hours... I don't know what the password was, but IPMI tool was pretty easy, with this guide: A Penetration Tester's Guide to IPMI and BMCs I figured if anyone else wanted to try this board, I should share this info.

My board didn't support V2 cpus, so I have mine running my old E5 2670s from back when the dual xeon 2011 craze first started. Now if there was a way to find what kind of BIOS update it needs to support V2 CPUs, this board might be one of the best value out there. The one I picked up was in a 1u case, with dual hot swap 650 watt PSUs, that are 80 Plus Platinum, and it came with 8 2.5" drive trays, so the mobo has 2 SAS connectors, plus 1 10GB SFP+. I got it for $110 shipped from ebay, CHENBRO RM13108 1U BAREBONE SERVER B800G2/10G SYSTEM BOARD 2x HEATSINK 2x PSU | eBay. The listing said no trays, but mine came with them so YMMV.

Reactions: arglebargle

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Sorry to necro such an old thread, but I ended up getting one of these boards, and the IPMI password was not any defaults. However, I was able to exploit a vulnerability with IPMI tool, and created a backdoor admin account, and was able to then get into the web interface and reset the admin password. I tried brute forcing it with kali linux but it was going to take over 1300 hours... I don't know what the password was, but IPMI tool was pretty easy, with this guide: A Penetration Tester's Guide to IPMI and BMCs I figured if anyone else wanted to try this board, I should share this info.

My board didn't support V2 cpus, so I have mine running my old E5 2670s from back when the dual xeon 2011 craze first started. Now if there was a way to find what kind of BIOS update it needs to support V2 CPUs, this board might be one of the best value out there. The one I picked up was in a 1u case, with dual hot swap 650 watt PSUs, that are 80 Plus Platinum, and it came with 8 2.5" drive trays, so the mobo has 2 SAS connectors, plus 1 10GB SFP+. I got it for $110 shipped from ebay, CHENBRO RM13108 1U BAREBONE SERVER B800G2/10G SYSTEM BOARD 2x HEATSINK 2x PSU | eBay. The listing said no trays, but mine came with them so YMMV.
This is awesome. Sometimes it's nice that old security vulnerabilities haven't been patched eh?

I looked long and hard at these systems when I was picking an E5-2600 machine, they're easily the best value you'll find. The only drawback is, as you already know, the lack of V2 support.

Reactions: igoresz

tkin1t3asy

Jul 30, 2019

What BIOS version are you running? I have a similar system and mine is reporting DMI: TBD TBD/A9DRPF-A1G, BIOS 1.13 09/06/2012. I am trying to determine if perhaps a newer date BIOS might have V2 support enabled.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014

I have been trying ...and failing.. to get into the BIOS. Can you share in detail how you did this?