[WW] WTB AGIGA9811-001JCB/MTA001A16BA-003

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I am looking for one or multiple items of AGIGA9811-001JCB or MTA001A16BA-003 sent to Germany.
(O/C happy to use freight forwarders if you can't be bothered with customs)

These are BBUs (+cable) for nvdimms for the uninitiated;)

I have tried locating these far and wide but no luck yet. Bought a couple off of Ebay but they were the wrong part number (not -001JCB) and thus incompatible (and no cable included to give it a try try either).

I am also trying to get some from Agiga directly but they have a Minimum Order Quantity which is likely way too high;)

The Agiga and Micron parts are identical so either will do. Alternatively a link to a shop with items in stock would be very helpful, but happy to buy used too. Ideally you supply quantity, price & serial number(s) so I can get compatibility verified.

Thanks

Last edited:

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
What is the difference between JCB and BCA (AGIGA9811-001BCA)?

I only found that BCA is maybe made for supermicro: https://www.neobits.com/supermicro_btr_agiga9811_001bca_agiga_diamond4__p9327347.html
Thought that they must be compatible...

Also: "AgigA has developed a simple management and control interface that can enable a central power mode option. In this mode, a host server system can provide 12V power to the DIMM sockets directly during a power loss event, much like a micro-UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). This eliminates the need for any external cable connections from the NVDIMM modules to the PowerGEM."
Do you know how to do this?

Also did you find cables at least? On the photos they are just cables, nothing special, maybe I'm wrong.

Also have you any other info? So little info on them...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I am not sure what the difference is; i just have been told that JCA is the best option for the modules I have. I'd need to check if I have info on BCA, but I think it has more to do with revisions and module compatibility (8g vs 16G Type 1/2).

I have not been able to find much on the host power mode, but it will need hardware support, so i don't think any off the shelv box (i.e. not planned to be used with nvdimms) is going to support it.

And the cables are simple cables yes, you just need a matching connector on both sides.

I actually have gotten a single PowerGem (courtesy of Agiga), but have not been able to get it to run in a way I can really use yet.
Still working on memory module firmware upgrade in the hope that that helps... slow progress.

I was planning to do a full write-up if I ever get it to run...

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
I actually have gotten a single PowerGem (courtesy of Agiga)
Can you tell model number, or it under NDA? =)
I just bought AGIGA9811-001BCA (Agiga Tech AGIGA9811-001BCA DIAMOND4 POWERGEM, 2.5'' DRIVE FORM FACTOR *USED* | eBay, $61.99).
No cables too. After finding your post, now thinking about buying 16 GB Micron (MTA18ASF2G72PF1Z-2G6 Micron 16GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666MHz NVDIMM Memory * Pulled * | eBay).
But if BCA is not working, I can't to afford to spend another 150$ on this :(

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
They sent me an AGIGA9811-001JCB since thats the PowerGem that fits my memory modules.
I have another PowerGem here (without cable) that seemed to fit from seller labelling but turned out to be incompatible when checked by Agiga, so I'd be careful with that, will need to check the #.

I actually found a seller for matching power gems too, but minimum order 20pcs and as I said I still even haven't gotten the one to work as expected/hoped.

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
so I'd be careful with that, will need to check the #
Ok, thx. But this is strange. If I understood correctly, you have some Micron NVDIMM-N Modules. And from product brief there is everywhere stated that their own NVDIMM is compatible to NVDIMM-N type per JEDEC definition, so I supposed that PowerGem must too. And you already have correct PowerGems...

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
Just in case from SuperMicro support:
-----------------------------------------
We would like to test NVDIMM on X11DPL-i, does ViKing 16GB NVDIMM (VRA9MRAB2K32PN4D) compatible? Any suggestion?
For SMC X11DP motherboards, please choose Agiga, Micron, and Hynix JEDEC NVDIMM for better compatibility.
Also setup BIOS option: Enable "Enable ADR" or "Reset trigger ADR".

We have Supermicro X10DRI MB with BIOS version 2.0, 1x Samsung 16GB DDR4 2133 ECC RDIMM and 1x ViKing 16GB DDR4 NVDIMM with Supercap, do we need any special BIOS setting and specific slot position for NVDIMM application ?
The first populate DIMM (A1) must be ECC RDIMM, and the NVDIMM slot position should be B1 or C1, also need special BIOS item support:

Advanced >> Chipset configuration >> North Bridge >> Memory Configuration:

Enable ADR [Enabled]

Erase-Arm NVDIMMss [Disabled]

Restore NVDIMMs [Enabled]

ACPI Shutdown Trigger ADR [Enabled]

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Thanks for these hints, i have contacted them before as well and never gotten those.

On a x10dri (which is a micron reference board (different bios though) i cant even get the board to boot (stuck at b0) but maybe i did not have my other modules in the correct slots.

On a x11dpi the module seems to be working in linux but is not recognized in ESXi nor FreeBSD.

Thats why i think i need a newer fw on the nvdimm modules which i cant seem to be able to flash:/

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah, definetely not a "plug and play" tech =)
But at least it works under Linux. Maybe other OSes don't have proper support/driver?
As for me, it seems that I cannot find a cable.
Part numbers: MTA001C00BA-001 and MTA001C00BA-002 (355 mm and 750 mm) from Crucial NVDIMM brief info.
Available only for a quote request on avnet, but I don't believe that they will execute 10 (unknown price yet).
Considering all your efforts I'm thinking now that it may be better just to wait some time (couple of years, I think) and get 32GB combos from ebay :)
But if I somehow get cables, I think I will try.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Cables are around 20 bucks each but hard to get individually in small amounts, they are included in the 2,5" PowerGem packages.
I noticed though that you run 2133p's and I have 2666V's so my PowerGem might not be the same that you need.

Thanks for the pointer with the x10dri, gave it a quick test and with single cpu/slots a1/a2 the board boots at least. Will do the bios setup and then give flashing another try.

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
Good that you have some progress with x10dri, hope it will work.
My option for cables is only ebay, as I'm not in US or EU, so my chances are not very high.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well I expect to get them to work at some time:)
Turns out FreeNas had a bug that prevented the loading of the necessary (undocumented) Kernel module which will be fixed in the next release...will see whether it works then;)

Slow progress, but at least some...