MikroTik CSS326-24G-2S+RM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bobmc

Apr 25, 2019
Thinking about buying one of these, does anyone have any experience with this model?

Specifically, I want to get a 10Gb link between my workstation and server and this seems to have a pair of 10Gb capable SFP+ cages

Seems very cheap for the features on offer.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Be aware that IGMP snooping doesn't work correctly in recent firmwares...I had keep mine on 2.4 or something like that for IGMP snooping (for my IPTV boxes when I had CenturyLink Prism TV) to work even half-way decently, and in the end I gave up and just put the boxes on a dedicated VLAN. It's been an issue for a while and last I checked they hadn't fixed it yet.

Reactions: bobmc

bobmc

Apr 25, 2019
This review is from Rohit in 2017 https://www.servethehome.com/mikrotik-css326-24g-2srm-review-cheap-24x-1gbe-2x-10gbe/

It isn't fast if you're wanting to route. If you'd just want a L2 network, it's fine.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that review. Routing performance is not critical so that's OK. Of more concern are some of the follow up comments from users regarding performance issues on traffic between the 1Gb and 10Gb ports. Whether this has been fixed by the current firmware (2.9) appears unconfirmed.

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
Thanks, I hadn't seen that review. Routing performance is not critical so that's OK. Of more concern are some of the follow up comments from users regarding performance issues on traffic between the 1Gb and 10Gb ports. Whether this has been fixed by the current firmware (2.9) appears unconfirmed.
1gb and 10gb not fixed on 2.9 ,have lot rx tx error when copy data between 1g and 10g , css

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
That's a shame, what about similar devices running RouterOS? (like CRS309-1G-8S+IN)
FWIW I have a CRS326 switch lying around, that is not currently in use.
If it is not too cumbersome to test, I wouldn't mind setting it up to do a test with current RouterOS firmware.

bobmc

Apr 25, 2019
That would be interesting but I'm not sure that the CRS326 can run RouterOS ? I know the router devices can run either but I don't know if the same applies to the switching products.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
That would be interesting but I'm not sure that the CRS326 can run RouterOS ? I know the router devices can run either but I don't know if the same applies to the switching products.
CRS326 is the version of CSS326 that is able to run RouterOS, I have RouterOS on mine already.
I bought this version specifically, even though it is a bit more expensive, because I don't like SWOS.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
So, I did some simple transfer tests between two machines (an E3 Xeon connected to a 10G port with Linux and a Xeon D-1541 box connected to a 1G port with Windows 10) using SCP, and transfers in both directions were able to use full 1G bandwidth, I am not seeing any errors on the interfaces in the RouterOS webinterface.

I can probably do more tests if need be, but will need an example what to look for.

Only error I found, was a dead SSD in the E3 box, but that hasn't got anything to do with the switch ;)

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Just fyi, there will be a new model with 4 sfp+ coming soon

https://www.servethehome.com/new-10gbe-and-40gbe-mikrotik-switches-coming/
Soon is a very relative thing, Mikrotik has a tendency to release details on upcoming products even when it will take a very long time before they release anything.

An option would be to buy the CRS328-24P-4S+RM (24 port PoE and 4 SFP+ ports) it was release a while ago, but it is almost 3 times as expensive as CSS326 and a little more than 2 times as expensive as CRS326, so might not be worth it.