IBM branded STec (s840?) eMLC 400GB SAS SSDs $40/ea shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
They erase SMART data on their hard drives so it's hard to gauge remaining lifetime and/or previous usage.
On the refurbished drives they sell, they Smart data is reset by the manufacturer that refurbished the drives. The warranty they offer is a good indicator of drive life.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
So these drives arrived a week or 10 days ago, I just now had time to drop one into a bay to check it out.

~225TB written, one single ECC correction, 2 grown errors and ~3.5 years run-time. The rest of my bays are full of HDDs running badblocks but I'll pop a second in in a bit and see if the wear is similar. All of the drives in this batch came with 2013 mfgr dates except one from 2011.

Drives ship with 528b sectors, I ended up running ahouston/setblocksize against them to reformat to 512b

Edit: second drive only had 2.6TB written o_O
Third drive ~225TB written, zero defects.

Edit: Three drives with ~220TBW, two drives with ~440TBW, one drive that furiously remapped sectors during a badblocks run.

Performance is meh given the power required, oh well at least they're durable as heck.

Last edited: