10Gbe Switch Suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
The LS624 isn't really a 10gbe switch. It has three slots for modules to be installed which are likely an arm and leg. Similar to a PowerConnect 62xx/70xx having two modules for two port units.

If you want an actual 10gbe switch, not just a gigabit with a pair of 10gbe ports, http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111602365045 the IBM g8124 for < $1000 is a good deal in my opinion.

It is NOT quiet. Pretty much none I've seen are. The Dell 8024f is also a good option, sometimes under $1000....

Reactions: Chuckleb

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I have a pair and very much like them. Some quirks to the OS if you're used to Cisco but once you learn to translate you're fine. I'm looking for some g8264's for another project.

Jun 5, 2017
Reviving this thread in 2019, I'm considering a 10GbE jump so I'm looking for switch options, hopefully in the form of something that combines 4 10GbE RJ45 ports and 4 1GbE RJ45 ports. Reason for the mixture is that, at least for the time being, a) I'm not anticipating needing more than 4 10GbE ports, b) some of my other devices (e.g. IPMI ports and possibly a printer) would grossly waste 10GbE ports, and c) I don't have neither anticipate having any SFP-enabled devices any time soon.

I haven't found anything that comes close to my needs, though, and my closest contenders are Netgear's XS708T, Netgear's XS708Ev2, and Buffalo's BS-MP2008. QNAP's QSW-1208-8C-US is also interesting, but it's about the same price as the others while unmanaged (I do prefer a managed switch, as I may want to experiment with VLANs), and would waste way too many SFP ports.

In addition to that, I'd love to find a WiFi access point with a 10GbE RJ45 port, but the only one I've found so far is Ubiquiti's UniFi XG, which at its current $729 price tag seems pretty uphill.

Thoughts and/or suggestions from this crowd very much appreciated, thanks!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
you could get one of the easier to find 2 x 10gbe, 2x SFP+ switches and convert the fiber to ethernet with an adapter. Adds cost and heat but would give you the 4 ports you are looking for.

Jun 5, 2017
True, that's a good suggestion. But I'm guessing what's going to drive my decision the most is the availability of 10GbE-uplinked WiFi access points, because most of my home devices are wireless (e.g. laptops, phones, etc.). My NAS is 10GbE-enabled, sure, but if my laptop cannot push at anything more than 1Gb to it, I'm not increasingly doubtful the whole experiment will make any sense...

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Do you already have 10GbE RJ45 NICs?

I was in a similar boat to yourself, considering a 10GbE jump - the RJ45 switches were ultimately few and far between (and mostly very loud given the higher power requirements of 10GbE over copper); similarly, the NICs were also expensive and power hungry. I ended up buying some dirt-cheap X520 single-port cards and I'm currently borrowing a 4xSFP+ switch (but will likely buy my own soon enough).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
True, that's a good suggestion. But I'm guessing what's going to drive my decision the most is the availability of 10GbE-uplinked WiFi access points, because most of my home devices are wireless (e.g. laptops, phones, etc.). My NAS is 10GbE-enabled, sure, but if my laptop cannot push at anything more than 1Gb to it, I'm not increasingly doubtful the whole experiment will make any sense...
well 10g enabled does not mean your nas can push 10g (aggregate) to several clients in the first place... (or pull either).
Is it a disk or ssd based system?

Also anything coming close to 10g on wifi will need a lot of clients and bandwith aggregation anyway

Jun 5, 2017
well 10g enabled does not mean your nas can push 10g (aggregate) to several clients in the first place... (or pull either).
Is it a disk or ssd based system?

Also anything coming close to 10g on wifi will need a lot of clients and bandwith aggregation anyway
My NAS is disk-based, not SSD, but my next plan is to add an SSD NVMe-based SLOG device to it (it's a FreeNAS rig), which would most definitely saturate a 1Gb link (I'm doing Samba-based TimeMachine backups to it, which implies sync writes that'd definitely benefit from a SLOG).

Regarding the 10GbE-enabled WiFi AP, you're saying I wouldn't leverage it even if I had two 802.11ac laptops pushing data to the NAS at once through the access point?