SanDisk 8TB SAS SSD $499 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

posternutbag

Jan 2, 2019
Says 2 available open box Genuine SanDisk 8TB SSD SAS STORAGE 54-90-80154-8000GCARD P/N: | eBay
To me that looks like a card that goes into a bigger system. There's lots of ram and nand on there but it isn't a normal form factor.
At the bottom edge, that sure looks like a standard SAS connector. If it's SAS, these 2 give 8TB mirrored in a Frankenstein build for very little.
You might not have the best memory, but you are pretty damn clairvoyant.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/drool.4993/#post-42456

Reactions: Jeggs101

David Madole

Oct 8, 2017
I didn't say it was or wasn't either U.2 or SAS, I said I believe it is a U.2 connector. It might well be SAS-6G electrically, but it's using a non-standard connector.

Look at the picture of the card, the contacts for what would be the second SAS port are on the wrong side of the connector. They should be on the opposite side, the "bottom" compared to the picture.

It is not a "standard SAS connector".

Northern

Dec 2, 2015
Is there any consensus (or opinion) from folks here if this thing will work with a "regular LSI " SAS controller and cable. Granting of course the physical Frankenstein mounting that will be required...

Crond

Mar 25, 2019
Is there any consensus (or opinion) from folks here if this thing will work with a "regular LSI " SAS controller and cable. Granting of course the physical Frankenstein mounting that will be required...
Seller says "SAS" and you're covered by "ebuy buyers protections", but does it matter ? Even if it's SAS and it's not firmware locked and it does work with regular LSI, it's unlikely you get access to utils or firmware updates, since this card was never introduced to retail market.

gigogig

Oct 29, 2018
no go on a sas connection for me, and on pci i fried at least 1 of my e5-2680s and possibly my X9DR7-LN4F as well :(:mad::oops: i will likely be in the market for some new ones in az if you know of any ;)

i used
U.2 SSD Mini SAS(SFF-8643) to PCI-e 4 X 3.0 Adapter for Intel 750 646791000814 | eBay
and
U.2 U2 Kit SFF-8639 Adapter & Cable NVME PCIe SSD for Mainboard Intel SSD 750 | eBay

to try and connect it over pci, so either those connections are bad or i have a bad card, can't be positive until i get a pcie u.2 drive to test with (on a cheaper bothbord next time)

Last edited:

Crond

Mar 25, 2019
Hmmm ... where is idea of having SAS disk plugged directly to PCIe adapter is coming from ?
U2 is backward compatible with SAS but if I understand your setup and description of that sandisk correctly you're doing something different. keep in mind U2 is just a connector, both sides should still support same protocol

Based on ebay description Sandisk SSD is/was a SAS device. So IMHO from the point of installing it should be no different from installing any SAS spinning HDD

Not sure why you fried it though .. if I recal sff-8639 pinout correctly, there's no overlap in power/clock signals NVMe adds 3.3 and clock but it has own group of pins, unless your adapter/cable doing something funny.

no go on a sas connection for me, and on pci i fried at least 1 of my e5-2680s and possibly my X9DR7-LN4F as well :(:mad::oops: i will likely be in the market for some new ones in az if you know of any ;)

i used
U.2 SSD Mini SAS(SFF-8643) to PCI-e 4 X 3.0 Adapter for Intel 750 646791000814 | eBay
and
U.2 U2 Kit SFF-8639 Adapter & Cable NVME PCIe SSD for Mainboard Intel SSD 750 | eBay

to try and connect it over pci, so either those connections are bad or i have a bad card, can't be positive until i get a pcie u.2 drive to test with (on a cheaper bothbord next time)

Last edited:
Reactions: BoredSysadmin

gigogig

Oct 29, 2018
Not yet, but I do have some to play with :cool: first one, maybe a dud. Seems like it's putting power input into the data lines, frying whatever I connect to it. I'll try a different one tomorrow likely.

i6feetunder

Sep 20, 2017
Not yet, but I do have some to play with :cool: first one, maybe a dud. Seems like it's putting power input into the data lines, frying whatever I connect to it. I'll try a different one tomorrow likely.
I just got one to play. Does it show any sight before it fired your board?. If the connection is sas, I may try the sas to sata cable to seperate the power line then.

gigogig

Oct 29, 2018
about three seconds after Power is applied to it and a red light comes on, it clicks and that's when it Fry's what it's connected to. it seems to repeat that as long as the power supply will keep the unit online. on most units the power supply gives up and reboots itself. So it seems like something is crossing between ground and the power plane.

i6feetunder

Sep 20, 2017
about three seconds after Power is applied to it and a red light comes on, it clicks and that's when it Fry's what it's connected to. it seems to repeat that as long as the power supply will keep the unit online. on most units the power supply gives up and reboots itself. So it seems like something is crossing between ground and the power plane.
Thank you. It seems weird to me. What type of power supply unit are you using on X9DR7-LN4F?

i6feetunder

Sep 20, 2017

i used
and

You are using PCIe card. It should be working fine

gigogig

Oct 29, 2018
I started with sas, I only used PCI when sas wouldn't work. After I fried the first proc I moved to older core 2 computers. Always one psu for the hole system. Different psus from Dell , seasonic antek, Roswell, as I moved systems. It's possible the card I have tested has a problem obviously, so I'm testing a new card tomorrow.

Reactions: i6feetunder