Micron 5100 3.84TB SSD for US$200

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

johndoe123

Apr 10, 2019
Interesting - Been on ebay 20 years and have yet to loose a case as a buyer - or win one as a seller.. lol We allocate about 10k/yr it loss cases - Just the cost of business - We have yet to win any case. We have had luck calling customer and explaining what fraud is, we can and threaten to call local police. We've actually had items returned to us. Mind you this is NOT with anything electronic, so our margins actually have some wiggle room built in for this.
You know, I heard there were ways to win paypal/ebay cases, sold probably on deep web or somewhere, especially for electronics. Some specially crafted procedures, I guess.

I lost $1150 on Stripe for (dispute for services offline), $730 (electronics) + $300 (iPad) on ebay, etc..

Come to think of it, I think I did nothing wrong, ebay sellers had over 90% ratings, good reviews, paid normally, received junk and lost ebay cases.

Given those circumstances I really don’t trust escrows these days.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
This is why I have American Express to goto and say "This item is a fraud, paypal won't help me, I need you to take care of it." and then AmEx goes after paypal/ebay while holding that $$$ amount in escrow not charging me and not penalizing me. There's a reason that I pay fees for that card, this is one of them.

For $300 i'll take my chances, i've been screwed out of worse.

johndoe123

Apr 10, 2019
yes. All using the same picture.

I know full well this could and probably is a scam but I'm protected by paypal and amex.

120GB SSD SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive SSD 120 GB 2.5" | eBay

and

120GB SSD SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive SSD 120 GB 2.5" | eBay

Ignore the Ebay crap this is what they are posting:

GENUINE

MICRON 5100 ECO 3.84TB SATA 6GB/s 2.5" Solid State Drive

MODEL #: MTFDDAK3T8TBY-1AR1ZABYY

Shipping To The Continental United States Only

The drive has no writes 3.8tb available. Authentic!

Includes:

Micron 3.84TB 2.5" SATA 5100 Solid State Drive SSD MTFDDAK3T8TCB-1AR1ZABYY

Currently accepting PayPal

FREE SHIPPING!

IMMEDIATE PAYMENT OR I WILL CANCEL YOUR ODER WITHING AN HOUR!
Micron 5100 ECO SSD 2.5" Solid State Drive 480GB SATA III 6Gb/s For HP server | eBay

Same listing on different hacked account, I suppose.

Seller deleted the “IMMEDIATE PAYMENT OR I WILL CANCEL YOUR ODER WITHING AN HOUR!” thing.
“IMMEDIATE PAYMENT OR I WILL CANCEL YOUR ODER WITHING AN HOUR!”
For seller with 0 feedback that message is a red flag. But still worth to try.
Also, the 0 bytes written mention seems to be from here.
I got mine yesterday, but only had a chance to put them in my desktop today.

All 3 showed 0 bytes written. 1 shows 31 power on hours, the other 2 show 0 hours.
Maybe he’s monitoring this thread.

I’ve reported all listings as fraudulent on ebay.

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The world of business that has gotten easier with the speed and ease of commerce has also opened it to the criminal element--and it is lucrative for them as you can tell.

Even when getting goods, there's always the chance that it's a fake--from NICs to nikkers--it's third-world bazaar trading in the online world at times.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
eBay is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. I've had my share of bad deals as a buyer. I recently ordered a specialty wall wart from a seller who had awful feedback. He was the only source I could find so I had to take the chance. Got a tracking # right away and it showed "USPS awaiting item". A week later it still did. So I thought here we go again. Well, yesterday it showed up even tho USPS tracking still showed awaiting item. And it still shows it today. The wall wart was as advertised and since it shipped from Cali, one week to arrive isn't bad.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Interesting - Been on ebay 20 years and have yet to loose a case as a buyer - or win one as a seller..
I hve had one case as (private) seller where Ebay/PP ruled in my favour;)

I had no returns allowed, proof of the ssd working, communication with the seller proving he didn't know how to get it to work, my attempts to help him and then his attempt to return under European law (which is not applicable to private sellers o/c) and *then* the attempt to claim 'not as described'.
Pure luck on my / no experience on buyer side. If he had went with this right away I would have lost.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This afternoon, I received a I7-4770 CPU BO at $45 free ship.
I thought too good to be true. CPU has been running prime95 for the past 6 hours.

Another CPU that I do not need.:)
Probably a fake. A lot of Intel stuff in ebay is fake. I couldn't even find a genuine NIC and gave up and got the HP part number instead so it wasn't fake. :eek:

In fact, it was a great comparison thread on here about fake NICs that brought me to STH in the first place. :)

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Probably a fake. A lot of Intel stuff in ebay is fake. I couldn't even find a genuine NIC and gave up and got the HP part number instead so it wasn't fake. :eek:

In fact, it was a great comparison thread on here about fake NICs that brought me to STH in the first place. :)
Probably just one of those "right place right time" good deals in this case TBH.

The IC for a NIC is a hell of a lot less complicated to copy than a modern Intel CPU. If someone had successfully reversed and mass produced fakes of I7 4770k's eBay would be *flooded* with them and we would have heard about it for sure because the enthusiast boards all over the internet would be full of "I bought a 4770k on eBay, why isn't it working?." You don't make any money making a small batch of cloned Intel CPUs, you'd have to invest 10's of thousands of $ just to make one fake that put up decent passmark numbers and passed prime95 for any length of time.

Most CPU fakes fall into two categories: A: Brick in a box or B: Some other real CPU with the IHS swapped. I don't think I've ever heard of a fake that put up comparable performance numbers to the real thing, that's way too much investment for the quick-cash scammers.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Probably just one of those "right place right time" good deals in this case TBH.

The IC for a NIC is a hell of a lot less complicated to copy than a modern Intel CPU. If someone had successfully reversed and mass produced fakes of I7 4770k's eBay would be *flooded* with them and we would have heard about it for sure because the enthusiast boards all over the internet would be full of "I bought a 4770k on eBay, why isn't it working?." You don't make any money making a small batch of cloned Intel CPUs, you'd have to invest 10's of thousands of $ just to make one fake that put up decent passmark numbers and passed prime95 for any length of time.

Most CPU fakes fall into two categories: A: Brick in a box or B: Some other real CPU with the IHS swapped. I don't think I've ever heard of a fake that put up comparable performance numbers to the real thing, that's way too much investment for the quick-cash scammers.
While I agree with you, I'm starting to have my doubts. Locked standard processors that won't be pushed can easily be mis-marked and sold as better performance models as most people won't be benchmarking stock units to make sure they're okay.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
one of these is delivered, picking it up tomorrow and testing on a PC with the micron tools above. will report in. Ebay is still holding payment on another hard drive.

I need 3 at least..

maze

Apr 27, 2013
one of these is delivered, picking it up tomorrow and testing on a PC with the micron tools above. will report in. Ebay is still holding payment on another hard drive.

I need 3 at least..
do some write tests for the full drive to see if its not like the usb stick gimmicks

Reactions: arglebargle

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
I hve had one case as (private) seller where Ebay/PP ruled in my favour;)

I had no returns allowed, proof of the ssd working, communication with the seller proving he didn't know how to get it to work, my attempts to help him and then his attempt to return under European law (which is not applicable to private sellers o/c) and *then* the attempt to claim 'not as described'.
Pure luck on my / no experience on buyer side. If he had went with this right away I would have lost.
Was this a legitimate "clueless buyer" or you sold him an SSD all worn out? Because I had a similar situation where the scumbag seller sneakily threw a dud in (25% life left per Intel's DC toolkit, the rest of the drives were 99-100% life left). Since I was abroad, he tried to wiggle around it saying I voided my rights as a buyer by using a freight forwarder. Paid with US banking... proceeded to call the VP of the bank (major east coast bank, especially around DC, long story short we met during a consulting gig), filed a BBB complaint (so it would show up in search results eventually) and had a chargeback issued thanks to the VP, without cancelling my card, reporting it as fraudulent. They made sure the merchant landed at the right list to have their retail transactions flagged for a while. Apparently PayPal suspended their account temporarily. It never pays to rip off customers, especially when sellers assume overseas = free reign to be an ass.

Caveat emptor and all, there are definitely some shady sellers listing SSDs. Be mindful if you buy lots, and have them verified locally by a friend if you aren't in the continental US. SAS ones tend to be reasonably safe, SATA is a different story. SMART data is easy to manipulate.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ouch :(
In my case it was a perfectly fine NVME drive, 100% life, in warranty and all.
He just bought it a tad expensive (I had bought it too expensive too so i was happy with getting my money back) or I would have taken it back anyhow.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
As a follow up I found a seller from israel that had a bunch, got 3 for 270 each, that's a nice deal and will go into my array nicely.

Reactions: maze