Intel Xeon Follows AMD EPYC Lead Offering Discounted 1P Only SKUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
The Xeon Gold 6209U with 20 Cores and competent Turbo clocks for a mere 1000 U$D seems like a bargain. Sure, I don't have that much money to spend and I doubt that your average enthusiast cares about these, but if I had unlimited budget, I would actually consider it since it seems to provide lineal Cores-Price scaling even when compared to consumer parts.

Actually, that part is good enough that it could destroy the entire HEDT lineup. To begin with, the Xeon W was priced outrageously higher than equivalent LGA 2066 Core i7/i9 and, as far that I know, it never received neither a refresh nor a price cut, nothing, in like 2 years. Now that Intel is putting some effort in the Xeon Scalable line, the Xeon W price scheme is completely out of phase.

Reactions: cactus

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
That’s actually a really good value for 1k if you didn’t need the insane amount of pci lanes that the AMD platform offers. If anything you do benefits from avx512 and other intel specific things this is likely a no brainer

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Even at 2K I'd prefer 24 much faster cores to 32 slower cores across 4 NUMA nodes right? You're gonna deploy these with 32GB DIMMs so 192GB or 384GB of RAM isn't bad.

Reactions: gigatexal

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Even at 2K I'd prefer 24 much faster cores to 32 slower cores across 4 NUMA nodes right? You're gonna deploy these with 32GB DIMMs so 192GB or 384GB of RAM isn't bad.
Cascade Lake is soon going to fight against AMD Rome, which will centralize all I/O in the I/O die and thus have the standard single NUMA Node per Socket. We still don't known how Zen 2 performs or clocks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Xeon W’s need an update with this, reasonably decent turbo speeds for interactive or desktop type usage and lowish TDP.

Certainly if intel can get some silicon into the market and get on top of production issues (and selling more big die’s won’t help the supply/production issues) then AMD will loose some of that huge price/performance advantage the had in some segments.

Mentioned it before 20-cores could well cause people license grief as you cross 16.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Xeon W’s need an update with this, reasonably decent turbo speeds for interactive or desktop type usage and lowish TDP.
I'm happy that I'm not the only one that sees the Xeon W lineup outdated. Back with Haswell-E and Broadwell-E, a Xeon E5 1600v3/v4 was like 50 U$D more than an equivalent Ci7, the tradeoff being getting ECC (Assuming Chipset support), more PCIe Lanes, but losing the Unlocked Multiplier. If you wanted prosumer features instead of enthusiast ones, the cost to step up to a Xeon platform wasn't that much. Actually, some low end 4C Xeons E5 were even competitively priced and made sense against LGA 1150 Core i7s if you wanted outrageous I/O. On Xeon W, instead, the pricing structure is completely absurd, no less than 200 and up to 400 U$D difference against the consumer counterparts.

Moreover, in some other Thread a guy mentioned the Supermicro X11SPA-TF, which has Workstation like features but uses LGA 3647. It seems to cost around 500-600 U$D, which is reasonable. It includes a PEX8747 PCIe Switch, ASpeed AST2500 BMC and has four M.2 PCIe 4x Slots. The audio codec is a not that impressive Realtek ALC888S. The dissapointing part is that it uses an Intel i210-AT NIC with another Aquantia AQC107 for 10G, whereas the manual mentions at Page 13 that it was supposed to be an Intel X722 plus an Intel X557 10G PHY. What happened with those? Would have preferred going full Intel on NICs than the Aquantia...
Anyways. That Supermicro could be an Intel HEDT killer if paired with the 20C 1000 U$D Xeon Gold.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@eva2000 memory prices have been dropping like crazy in the last few months. 32GB RDIMMs are the sweet spot in terms of capacity/ price right now.

Reactions: eva2000