Supermicro M11SDV-4C-LN4F Review mITX AMD EPYC 3151 Platform

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Some of these platforms (xeon d's, atom c3xxx and so on) would make pretty awesome firewall/routers/etc. devices, it would be great if you could do some benchmarks that show their ability to push packets.

Of course you will probably have to add a NIC to platforms like this, where it is probably safe to assume that you can push linespeed on all (4) interfaces.

EDIT: When you think about that Netgate wants 399 USD/yr to push 10G with TNSR, it would be interesting to see what you can get if you spend that money on hardware in stead.

Last edited:

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Some of these platforms (xeon d's, atom c3xxx and so on) would make pretty awesome firewall/routers/etc. devices, it would be great if you could do some benchmarks that show their ability to push packets.
Also, additional single-threaded testing would be good for helping to discern IPC differences between different CPUs.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Patrick has some single thread tests in the mix.
C3000 is half the EPYC and D-2100 cores, but in some tests it’s clear threads matter more so the ‘full’ C3000 threads keep pace with the hyperthreads of the others.

I think if you thought about D-1500 then the EPYC 3000 is a easier choice, more powerful for same energy consumption. Depending on your workload the D-2100 maybe most powerful but comes at an expense in consumption.
C3000 is just the turtle... slow and steady but with low idle and a low fully loaded power profile.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am always open to adding things. What single-threaded workload do you have that we can put in Docker?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
should be pretty straightforward to add prime95 to a docker image what all would you need?
Prime95 uses AVX,AVX2,AvX512 so it’s kind of not really a fair test or an even test... then again maybe that’s the point.
Probably need not just Prime95 but other single thread checks as CPU’s really work very differently sometimes.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Handbrake doing an encode? Maybe a large WAV being encoded with lame? Open to suggestions though anything I did would be no harder for anyone with understanding of docker and some bash to be able to do though I’m willing to help STH if it will make the articles more relevant to us

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Handbrake encode could be a good one, extremely consistent. Will exploit some special functions on CPU but i assume these would be good to know as useful for video usage in security systems etc.

PassMark
CineBench

Are a couple that come to mind that may also work.
Compile kernel on a single CPU could also work.

Reactions: gigatexal