pfSense & Xeon D-2100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vokys

Apr 5, 2019
Curious if someone has seen whether the Xeon D-2100 are supported by pfSense yet? SFP+ ports included?

Looking at 2 of these for a linking 2 locations, site-to-site:
Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 5019D-FN8TP

Sure the TDP is higher than the D-1500 series (I'm not overly concerned with power usage), but from all indications the performance difference is significant. It may even be a little overkill, but considering I can get 2 of them (with the required RAM & SSD) for quite a bit less than 2 of Netgate's own XG-1537, it would only make sense to get the newer equipment, if it works - hence this post!

I'll be running a substantial amount of IPsec traffic, the Supermicro unit has higher clock speeds than similar units, Turbo's higher, and includes QAT (if Netgate ever get around to supporting that, I'm hopeful at least).
As we continue to grow, our needs will also continue to grow, so I'm trying to also plan ahead.

Thank you very much, this site and forum has been a wealth of information for me over the years!

edit - TNSR is a possibility, but I'm not prepared to jump into something new at this point.

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Supported by pfSense are big words. Their FAQ states that unless it's their own device, the support will be minimal at best. More complicated scenarios require T&E from PS.
Global Support FAQ

Will pfSense RUN on Xeon D-2100. Is it an x86-64 bit CPU? Yes, it is and it runs on it.
This STH benchmark graph from OpenSSL should give you some idea on 21xx performance:

As an Idea I could tell according to limited evidence a 4k Passmark CPU with the support of AES should be able to do 1000Mbps IPSec traffic.
D-2141i is "a bit" faster than that:
PassMark - Intel Xeon D-2141I @ 2.20GHz - Price performance comparison

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I’ve been running one for 6 months without problem, has quad i350 and SFP+ / cat5 10gb interfaces on a 557 chipset that are supported. It’s ridiculously overpowered.

vokys

Apr 5, 2019
I’ve been running one for 6 months without problem, has quad i350 and SFP+ / cat5 10gb interfaces on a 557 chipset that are supported. It’s ridiculously overpowered.
Fantastic! thank you for the response and info!

Curious if you've tested VPN throughput (IPsec primarily)?

Thanks again.