Infiniband questions :)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fairlight

Oct 9, 2013
Hi all

I'm new to this forum but have been reading it for a while and I have this forum to thank (much to the missus disgust lol) for all the money I have just spent on a basic IB setup for home, this is what I have purchased:

1. Voltaire GridDirector 9024D (not M) - I plan on getting a QDR switch after xmas when I've gained a bit more knowledge

2. 2 x MHGH28-XTC REV X1 (old revision) flashed to 2.7000 firmware from 2.6

3. VMware ESXi 5.1

4. 2 x CX4 Cables

5. 2 x Custom built desktop machines housing the HCA's, 1 x 8 Core AMD system with 32 GB RAM and 2 x Intel 335 180GB SSDs (working on this, buying 2 more end of the month)

Ok so far this is what I have done to setup Infiniband in VMware ESXi 5.1:

1. Install the Mellanox / VMware drivers

esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/mlx4_en-mlnx-1.6.1.2-offline_bundle-471530.zip

esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/MLNX-OFED-ESX-1.8.2.0.zip

2. Installed the OpenSM VIB

esxcli software acceptance set --level=CommunitySupported

esxcli software vib install -v /tmp/ib-opensm-3.3.16.x86_64.vib

3. Reboot

4. Change MTU and create partitions.conf

vi /tmp/partitions.conf
Default=0x7fff,ipoib,mtu=5:ALL=full;

cp partitions.conf /scratch/opensm/0x001a4bffff0c1399/
cp partitions.conf /scratch/opensm/0x001a4bffff0c139a/

esxcli system module paramters set -m=mlx4_core -p=mtu_4k=1

5. Reboot again just to make sure

6. Create a Virtual Network vswitch using the vmnic_ib0 interface (shows as 20000 Full)

7. Built two Windows 7 machines via each of the 2 SSD's and both sitting on the 20000 Full vswitch, so theoretically I should be able to get close to 500MB/s copying data between them (maybe?) - both interfaces show as 10G nics on each Windows server.

8. Copied a file between them on the IB network, copy speed is hitting around 290MB/s (15 secs to copy a 3.6GB ISO)

Some notes:

1. I realise that both machines will share that single 20Gbps interconnect (10GB) but I still should get more than 290MB/s right - that is a poor speed considering the potential bandwidth - I expected to max out the SSDs? (I also realise IPoIB is not fully optimised right now and V2 is coming - Mellanox)

2. I cannot raise the MTU any higher than 2000, it errors telling me the uplink rejected the higher value (I think because the cards are old)

3.Are there any other areas I can do to push the SSD's to the max - I expected to be able to do this or are the age of the HCA cards holding me back?

4. I was considering using a spare machine as a Linux based SAN and using SRP Linux <--> ESXi, would I be better off performance wise with this and using RAID on the 2 (soon to be 4 maybe 5 SSDs)? I know I only have 2 SSDs but my goal is to get as close to a SSD based SAN as possible.

Would really appreciate your input guys from the IB gurus on here, thanks! :D

PS: Windows vNICs are VMXNET3 using netsh to set the custom MTU to 2k.

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Welcome to the forums!

Can I give a thought/ suggestion to try? I would try doing RAMDisk to RAMDisk copies. That would at least let you know if it is the Mellanox or drives holding you back.

I might also say, the above is a great guide. Can we make that into a main site post?

Fairlight

Oct 9, 2013
Hey Jeggs

Thanks for your reply - I will try the RAMdisk copy and revert back the outcome, its a good idea! Just to add some more info, I'm using the on board motherboard SATA ports (high spec RAID controller is on the shopping list) and I observed no problems with the virtual machines during the copy, there was little or no CPU hit / memory.

I am very impressed with IB latency also, it is in the extremely low milliseconds.

EDIT: To add does anyone know when V2 of the ESXi OFED driver is going to be released by Mellanox?

Last edited:

Fairlight

Oct 9, 2013
For sake of an update, here is further testing:

I tried the RAMdisk idea but it wasen't much better (389MB/s), so I decided to fire up a couple of Linux VMs and perform some further tests using IPERF:

2 x ESXi Hypervisors 5.1
2 x CentOS x64 6.4 VMs one per ESXi host interconnected via 1 x Voltaire DDR switch, 2 x HCAs, 2 x vSwitches, 2 x IB Uplinks vmnic_ib 20000 Full

# iperf -c 10.0.0.20

Interval 0.0-10.0 sec

Transfer: 9.12 GBytes

Bandwidth: 7.83 Gbits/sec

# iperf -c 10.0.0.20 -G

Interval: 0.0-10.0 sec

Transfer: 9.08 GBytes

Bandwidth: 0.91 GBytes/sec

# iperf -c 10.0.0.20 -M

Interval: 0.0-10.0 sec

Transfer: 9330 MBytes

Bandwidth: 933 MBytes/sec

Better! still need to work on disk performance - just waiting on the end of the month so I can purchase some more hardware (RAID controller + more SSDs) as I would also like to try SRP, in the meantime I've got my eye on a Voltaire QDR 4036.