Gigabyte C621-WD12

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Apr 30, 2018
Clearly this is a workstation board, but the trade for 2 more USBs vs having dedicated IPMI/Aspeed ref design and related parts non-populated is absolutely baffling. Is there even a cost delta for those features at this price point? Why? Is "workstation" currently defined by poor decisions? Otherwise a great product in many other aspects.

Attachments

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
This is a product so all the gaming kids can get excited about all the PCIe slots and features.

efschu2

Feb 14, 2019
Would like to build an esxi with the 3175X and it seems this one and the ASUS ROG are the only options... well but I dislike in buying gamer bling bling crap for professional use. Anyone tried the 3175X in a supermicro board? The supermicro support just told me, they arent supporting OEM CPUs, and I'm like, wtf?

Oh the picture wasnt fully loaded, thought it's about the gigabyte c621 aorus xtreme

Last edited:

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Would like to build an esxi with the 3175X and it seems this one and the ASUS ROG are the only options... well but I dislike in buying gamer bling bling crap for professional use. Anyone tried the 3175X in a supermicro board? The supermicro support just told me, they arent supporting OEM CPUs, and I'm like, wtf?

Oh the picture wasnt fully loaded, thought it's about the gigabyte c621 aorus xtreme
Gamers Nexus showed an early EVGA (SR-3?) board that looks more like a workstation board. Front to back layout. Single PSU. Still 1DPC. Less ridiculous VRM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
The EVGA SR-1 seemed to have started this board segment. Asus has made a similar layout of board for the last few generations of E5 V1-2 & V3-4. I cannot think this is high enough volume to need multiple sources.
It is kind of interesting to see only 1GbE.

Apr 30, 2018
That bare EVGA sr-3 PCB is interesting. Particularly for the orthogonal m.2 22110 between the the pci slots and the back panel. The ridculous power delivery makes it look like a race/OC board for the W-3175X niche, but the right angle power delivery says 1U?

pluralform

Apr 11, 2019
Clearly this is a workstation board, but the trade for 2 more USBs vs having dedicated IPMI/Aspeed ref design and related parts non-populated is absolutely baffling. Is there even a cost delta for those features at this price point? Why? Is "workstation" currently defined by poor decisions? Otherwise a great product in many other aspects.
What's the deal with this board? Is it ever going to be released... Curiously, with a quick google search, the manual for this board has an (IPMI). Are they still versioning this perhaps?

I'm wanting to build a high end workstation, and trying to figure out if this board is going to be an option. Wish SuperMicro would make a black dual socket workstation board :\

Might need to post this elsewhere, but I'm also looking at the X11DPG-QT if anyone has thoughts on that they could share.

Last edited: