Need recomendation for download manager with web gui.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Ok I am here again asking silly questions, but I cannot find a good solution as of yet.

I have been using jDownloader 2 on my desktop. It is Linux mint 18.
Works great. However if I download something I need to keep my pc on.
Not a good option.
So I am looking for a recommendation on a nice downloader I can run in LXC container on my Proxmox server.
My needs/wants are.

1. Need to run on linux debian 8 or 9
2.need to run as headless service with web UI.
3. If possible not too complicated setup and maintanace

Bonus points if it can handle megashare and other like services. Like the jDownloader can.
Torrents is a plus but not a must have as I can always setup deluge or transmision for that.
A nice to have feature is ability to handle file management after download. Like incomplete folder to completed folder move.
Nice to have but not a must.

Thanks for all your help.
V.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I thought there was a 'remote' facility for JD2? My JDownloader - Login
So I'm assuming one could run JD2 in a container and then use the remote facility which uses a web-api of sorts to communicate with it...

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
How large of things are you downloading, and how slow is your internet?

I've got a slow 100/100 connection and even downloading full DVD isos only takes a few mins... it's not like your PC has to be online all night.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
There is a remote facility for jDownloader but my server is not outside. It is a one way only.

My downloads are different amd some times it is not my connection that is the issue. It's the other side. I had seen load times in few hours. The problem is that .I might need to start download and leave. If I can run it on server it does not matter as server is up anyway. But my pc is not up all the time and in this case it will be on for nothing for long time.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Don't have a clue about anything with a web GUI I'm afraid (although TBH I'd probably think about knocking up my own), but there's a number of GUI frontends to aria2 such as perseopolis. It's not a web GUI but you could run a frontend like this on your desktop and have aria2 on the server do all the heavy lifting, in the same way you can do with transmission.

Of course aria2 has its own RPC interface as well so a web GUI might not be that complicated either.

Edit: it seems not, as someone's already written a web-based frontend in JS.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
A little update here

I have tried to setup aria2 in Proxmox based lxc container.
For the love of all holly could not make it work. Followed 6 different how good.
Several forums nothing
It may run by WebUI is not reachable.
Or install fails with no usable info to find the reason.
I have deleted and recreated the container 5 times.

Tried loading pyload. Much better instructions and overall experience.
Found several help pages and guides ended up using just 2 of them.
Both were mostly the same but there were sone snippets of commands and config files that differe and one worked and the other did not.
But while pyload worked and was usable it did not download fron mega and zippy share. Don't know why or how to make it work. Tried all suggestions I could find.
Just for fun I found guide for headless jdownloader2. It was up and running in 10 min flat. Yes having a third party website for remote access is not something I want but in a short run it will do.
It works. It loads links from mega and zippy share just like the desktop version does. Unzip everything after download too. The only gripe I still have is how to figure out how to set it up for it to move finished files to different folder.
It loads everything into incomplete folder and I want to move all finished one to complete folder when done.
Will play with pyload too as it seams to be a defacto standard for headless setups.

Reactions: Dreece