Supermicro Bios Password / Softlayer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
Hi,

i have bought a Supermicro System whitch has a Bios Password set.

I already Contactet Supermicro to get some help on this but the Mainboart is a OEM production for softlayer so there is no chance getting the Bios image from Supermicro to flash it.

Of course i did alreayd try a Cemos reset but that did not help.

Does anione know witch Password Softlayer ueses on there Systems?

Or has annybody a idea how i could get ried of this Password?

Oh the System Board is a: X10SLH-LN6TF

Since the PW does not disapear during a CMOS reset i would liek to try to clean the NVRAM but the Supermicro technishen told me this is only possible from the Bios...

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
i have tried this. Bootet a Ubuntu ISO and ran the comment: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvram bs=1

the curser Blinked and i rebootet but the PW is still there unfortuanatly.

UXSServers

Mar 27, 2019
Hello I have the same system from softlayer,

did you ever get a chance to clear the BIOS? please let me know thanks.

i have tried this. Bootet a Ubuntu ISO and ran the comment: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvram bs=1

the curser Blinked and i rebootet but the PW is still there unfortuanatly.

Bpsystems

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me where the system was purchased? I'd be interested in picking one up to test it out.

webjunkie

Mar 17, 2016
We've had a few like this. Pulled the CMOS battery, left it out for a few minutes, then put it back in and the password was gone.

Reactions: T_Minus

UXSServers

Mar 27, 2019
I Tried that with the CMOS Battery as well as shorting the jumper still could not clear the BIOS Password

and we do not have the Rela BIOS from softlayer either so, We have several these systems with BIOS PS,

if anyone finds a solition that would be great, There is a bit of a discount if you want to try to break the PW Login

We've had a few like this. Pulled the CMOS battery, left it out for a few minutes, then put it back in and the password was gone.

kapone

May 23, 2015
If the IPMI is not "locked" or anything, i.e. you're able to connect to it, these boards (and others) can be configured to update their BIOS over IPMI (don't even need a CPU/RAM, the BMC will do it). It does require an OOB key from Supermicro...or if you look hard enough...you can figure out how to do it yourself. Once the key is applied, just flash the latest BIOS for the board, it'll clear all passwords.

I'm happy to provide up to 10x of these keys (I do need you to provide the BMC MAC ID) in exchange for one free system...:p:p (Hey, my time is expensive).

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If the IPMI is not "locked" or anything, i.e. you're able to connect to it, these boards (and others) can be configured to update their BIOS over IPMI (don't even need a CPU/RAM, the BMC will do it). It does require an OOB key from Supermicro...or if you look hard enough...you can figure out how to do it yourself. Once the key is applied, just flash the latest BIOS for the board, it'll clear all passwords.

I'm happy to provide up to 10x of these keys (I do need you to provide the BMC MAC ID) in exchange for one free system...:p:p (Hey, my time is expensive).
It's an custom board that Supermicro never sold as a retail product, so good luck getting ahold of any BIOS version for it.

UXSServers

Mar 27, 2019
I do not have the BIOS update from Supermicro, although we may contact softlayer to see if they have it.

I tried the BIOS from the supermicro.com but they do not have the correct motherboard BIOS

Do you want to purchase one of this, and see if you can give it a shot I can give you a bit of a discount

let me know

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
So, I just ran into this with a new server I picked-up. It's Softlayer-branded and both the IPMI and BIOS was locked. What I did was:

1) Make a bootable Ubuntu USB and boot it.
2) Use IPMICFG to reset the IPMI to defaults. There is a good article on this here: https://www.servethehome.com/reset-supermicro-ipmi-password-default-lost-login/.
3) Looks like newer versions of IPMICFG have an option for what you want to clear. My command ended-up being ipmicfg -fd 2. That reset the IPMI, but didn't reset the LAN. I had to also issue ipmicfg -dhcp on to enable DHCP.
4) Login to the IPMI and use it to flash the BIOS. Make sure to UNcheck any of the "preserve" or "save" options so that it resets the whole thing back to defaults. Luckily my IPMI already had the BIOS flashing license installed.

Thanks!!
Riley

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

dordal

Nov 14, 2021
I know this is an old thread, but I ran into the same problem on an X10DRU-i+ board that I purchased, where the BIOS password kept coming back on reboot, no matter what I did. @Skud's solution didn't work, because the BIOS update available contains an updated FDT (File Descriptor Table), and the IPMI BIOS update tool can't deal with that, so you can't get to the part where you clear the NVRAM.

After much trying, I figured out how to get the BIOS updated and remove the password using the DOS BIOS updater on a USB stick. Wanted to share for the future-humans who come via Google:
  1. Get a Bootable USB key with the BIOS and IPMI (BMC) firmware updates on it. I used FreeDOS but you could presumably use just about anything.
  2. Turn off & unplug the machine. Remove the CMOS battery. Either leave it overnight, or short the CMOS battery clear jumper for 5 sec with a screwdriver. You should see this right next to the CMOS battery; check the manual if you can't find it.
  3. Plug in power & your USB key in (leaving the CMOS battery out), and boot the machine. You will now have ONE CHANCE to get into the BIOS. If you fail, you have to short the CMOS battery clear jumper again. Press 'Del' at the right moment to get into the BIOS.
  4. Set the boot options so the first bootable device is your USB key. Also, go into the Security Menu, and go to Secure Boot Menu -> Secure Boot Mode. Change the mode to Standard, which will reset the boot encryption keys. This seemed to be needed to allow it to actually boot off the USB. I suspect my board had custom encryption keys loaded.
  5. Press F4 to save changes and reboot, and then boot the box.
  6. It should now boot off your USB key. I was updating both BMC firmware and the BIOS. I can't say whether doing both is necessary to get rid of the password, but it might be.
  7. Update the BMC firmware first. Exact command will vary, but something like ADUPDATE.EXE -f ..\..\BMC-firmware-file.bin -r n
  8. Now update the BIOS. Again, exact command varies, but something like FLASH.BAT X10DRU1.521
  9. If your FDT needs to be updated, the machine will reboot half way through the BIOS update.
  10. ... and you are done. Power off the box, put the CMOS battery back in, power it back on, and you're up and running without a password. If I were you, I'd probably then go into the BIOS and do 'Restore Optimized Defaults', since you're probably here after buying a board from somebody else.
Good luck, future humans.

Last edited: