186Foot 10gig ethernet COPPER help!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Myth

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

So we have a run that is about 186feet long with Cat 6a cabling. We are using dell switches with 10Base-T copper SFPs. So we have 10Gigabite SFP's copper, but the SFPs are rated at only 30meters.

I know that cat 6a cabling can supper 10Gig at 300feet per the spec sheet, but I can't seem to find a SFP that support copper 10Gig ethernet over 30meters.

Does anyone know of a solution short of running optical cabling?

We are going to a server that we can't direct connect too because it has a switch in between buildings.

-Myth

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Do you have to use the SFP's? I would recommend either using fibre or a proper 10Gig copper port which is better able to handle the power requirements for such a run.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
My understanding is that you won't be able to find a SFP+ 10G copper module due to power limitations on the SFP+ port. I might be wrong on the exact details, but I've never run across a SFP+ 10G copper module that claims to support more than 30m.

Another option would be to use a SFP+/copper media converter. I've been using two of PLANET's XT-705A (link below) for the past few months without problem. While they are not as convenient as the SFP+ 10G copper modules, they do allow for longer cable runs, jumbo frames, and better cooling (most SFP+ 10G copper modules run *hot*). If you've got any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
186 foot of copper for 10G? that's going to need some hefty powering at the ports (both ends)... with high quality shielded cabling it is a non-issue regarding signal quality, it's just that every so many feet the power drops. When you consider house electrics and running say a 240v live, you will notice a voltage drop at the other end, and in that case we're talking some hefty volts. Remember when power reduces across distance, re-transmissions and drops in negotiated speed are commonplace, a big headache.

I second and third the advice above, try and look at optics and converters as necessary... not sure if there is such a thing as a 10G copper power-repeater though (bar an inline switch), that could 'in theory' work if you have a power-point half way or so and such a device is available and within your budget.

I recall a video where some chaps were doing a 100metre copper run and sending multiple 4k streams down the wire, but when you actually see the copper diameter itself, this thing was of epic proportions and god only knows how much power was required. Copper isn't bad, it's just in regular networking optics is the way for long runs so less research and development went into copper over the years but this doesn't mean other fields don't do the impossible.

Last edited:

madbrain

Jan 5, 2019
Use a pair of Netgear GS110MX or GS110EMX . These have 2 10GBASE-T ports each. You can essentially use them as 10Gbase-T repeaters. Put one on each end.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
My primary concern with adding media convertors/ repeaters etc is that, at some point, some eejit will be tempted to switch one or other of them off accidentally, or they fail in an obscure way leading to downtime until someone remembers which cupboard they are hiding in. While I agree there is always a novel way (cough 802.11ax) to chunter packets around, there's no need to go introducing further failure points into your network design, or possible penetration points for that matter. Fiber is cheap and reliable, make a couple of runs taking different routes and you'll have some redundancy as well as an upgrade path for the future :)

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
One would think it comes down to priorities and budget... not knowing exactly how much effort went into installing a run (and cost)... and then trying to give advice is like shouting out onto an empty field bar the odd cow or two. I think the OP was well aware of the 'ideal way', but probably got into a runt with just trying to get what was already done to work (a purely subjective deduction mind you).

I've personally been on a few sites where if those said companies had a network engineer strike, they would probably find themselves ripping open their suspended ceilings to find all manner of strange and wonderful duct-tape contraptions churning away.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat... sometimes engineers do something to get something working today and then propose the 'correct' way to the business for tomorrow (well one would hope so)... let finance take the heat lol

if it's homelab, anything goes, including the cat :D

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
if it's homelab, anything goes, including the cat :D
You are getting 10Gbps over feline carrier? I could only get a few Mbps. Damn lazy cat anyway... I had to switch to Avian carrier, but the cat kept eating the birds. Pets are just awful for bandwidth.. :D

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
You are getting 10Gbps over feline carrier? I could only get a few Mbps. Damn lazy cat anyway... I had to switch to Avian carrier, but the cat kept eating the birds. Pets are just awful for bandwidth.. :D
There's an old country secret when it comes to domestic animals... keep them slim and hungry, they'll bend over backwards and do triple somersaults on your beck and call. ;)